Talk

Advanced search

TTC + Going Organic and Chemical free - Help

(13 Posts)
LadyKB Tue 16-Aug-11 16:53:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Levana Wed 17-Aug-11 10:50:30

Lush still seems to have a lot of the nasty stuff in it tbh.

I use Faith in Nature, it's not too expensive and smells nice. They do shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. Have you tried the oil cleansing method for your skin? Could be worth a try - lots of threads on it on mn in style and beauty.

BirdyBedtime Wed 17-Aug-11 10:55:52

Levana beat me to recommending Faith in Nature products - I use the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, I use Aveeno moisturiser and Organic surge cleaner and toner. FinN stuff I get from our local herbalist but I've seen it in Oxfam too, Aveeno and others from Boots.

I do worry too about all of the chemicals and try to use paraben etc free stuff for kids too (and then smother them in Nivea sun-cream, but hey-ho, you can't do everything!).

LadyKB Wed 17-Aug-11 11:20:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trilottie Wed 17-Aug-11 11:33:26

My MIL is a distributor for Neways products: www.healthcatalog.co.uk/?gclid=CIO6_K2P1qoCFQoe4QodE1xY8g
We have their shower gel and shampoo which don't have any nasties in. I also use Aveda shampoo and conditioner, and Organic surge stuff on my face.
I've also used Naked (from Boots) stuff which is quite good.
When I was first looking around i visited my local health food shop which had a load of (expensive) paraben/toxin free hair and body products.

trilottie Wed 17-Aug-11 11:38:10

ooops just want to make clear that's not my MIL's site, I'm not advertising her at all! She just does local stuff for friends I think. I just googled Neways and got that smile

Levana Wed 17-Aug-11 11:45:51

I think Faith in Nature is pretty good in that the stuff its made from is paraben free and no sls etc which are the main stuff to avoid. To go purer I think you are into make your own shampoo territory.

I did try this for 2 months - made from vinegar and baking soda. I just couldn't really get it to work effectively and gave up, I use Olive Oil soap from Holland Barrett as a shower wash - only ingrediant is Olive Oil so thats good.

Oil Clensing info here

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 17-Aug-11 11:52:59

A lot of great recommendations here! (Green People sell a really rich sun screen Birdybedtime)

Also have you thought about the chemicals in your home environment? Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs of course, but you need to replace any strongly perfumed washing detergents (Persil etc) with Ecover/Surcare/Supermarket eco brand.
Get rid of Shake n' Vac or similar, baking soda will do the job of removing smells from carpets.

Also ditch any Glade plug-ins and replace with natural oil burners.

Imps7 Wed 17-Aug-11 17:27:48

Hello!

What about Burt's Bees stuff? It claims to be 90-99% natural, but I've never actually checked the ingredients. I can vouch for it though - it's all gorgeous stuff!

Have you tried Magic Cloths (or maybe they're called E Cloths - I can't remember) from Lakeland? They are supposed to be good for cleaning the house without chemicals. I can't say I've ever tried to use them in the kitchen, but they work pretty well in the bathroom if you use them every couple of days (not so good on tough, built up stains)

Good luck!

Imps7 Wed 17-Aug-11 17:32:17

Hmm, just checked the Burt's Bees website - it says that everything is Paraben Free
Sulfate Free (SLS-free)
Petrochemical Free
Phthalate Free

The list of ingredients for one of the shampoos is water, decyl glucoside, sucrose laurate, betaine, glycerin, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, sodium cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein, coco-betaine, lauryl glucoside, fragrance, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, citrus nobilis (tangerine) oil, citrus medica limonum (lemon) oil, citrus aurantium amara (petitgrain) oil, hydroxypropyltrimonium honey, glucose, citric acid, xanthan gum, sodium chloride, phenoxyethanol, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase.

I only really understand what "water" is out of that list to be honest!!

Imps7 Wed 17-Aug-11 17:34:48

Oh, and if you're interested in Burt's Bees - it's half the price in the US as compared to here so may be worth shipping it over.

blacktreaclecat Wed 17-Aug-11 21:31:56

Also what about Neals Yard? Gorgeous body and face products

lozster Thu 18-Aug-11 21:58:38

LadyKB - might you be worrying unnecessarily? I don't think I've seen any evidence linking the use of any hair care, cleaning or body products to either autism or to likelihood to conceive. Nor have I seen any evidence associating organic (food or products) with positive outcomes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now