Talk

Advanced search

How long to wait for referal in SW Herts?

(7 Posts)
DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 13:24:32

We have been TTC for 10 months and as I'm 38 thought I would see the doc just to get an idea about what comes next. We have been told to wait till its been 18 months. Is that right, I thought it was generally a year?

Oh and my username isn't a go at the docs or the NHS, its just a joke at my own expense. I'll change it if I happen to be on here a lot.

farfallarocks Tue 16-Aug-11 13:28:47

No that is not right, after 35 you should be referred after 6 months and udner 35 after a year. Go back and be assertive!
18 months may be the time to actually get seen at a fertility clinic but I would get the ball rolling asap if I were you.

DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 13:44:13

Hmm thanks far, thats what I read somewhere i.e. 6 months of TTC after the age of 35 'should' be the starting point for getting into the system. I assumed that with the limitations on the NHS that point would be a year. I was just wondering if this is their written policy in Herts, and how do I find that kind of info out?

I have been able to get pg fairly easily before, I have a DS who is nearly 2 but also had 3 miscarrigaes before him. The doctors reasoning was that 'you've gotten pg easily before so it should not be a problem'. Being assertive is not my strong point so I want to go back with the right information.

Sn0wGoose Tue 16-Aug-11 14:28:30

I would just try a different GP at your practise tbh, as they all have different opinons etc. What one dr refuses another can jump at ;)

Sn0wGoose Tue 16-Aug-11 14:31:46

Also, if you phone the receptionists at the fertility clinic, they might be able to advise you on usual referral periods etc?

DrKnowNothing Tue 16-Aug-11 15:17:00

Good idea snow, I will try and get hold of that number.

farfallarocks Tue 16-Aug-11 15:38:21

Sounds like a slightly ignorant GP to be honest 'you have been pregnant before' hmmm!

Perhaps have a look at the NICE guidelines and ask why the GP seems to think a different approach is warranted here?
Sorry, I am a bit mardy today, this sort of thing really annoys me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now