Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Removal of Mirena IUD before TTC - what are the after-effects of removal like?

(9 Posts)
Squirrel77 Mon 15-Aug-11 11:05:34

Hi folks, I'm about to get the Mirena removed so DH and I can begin TTC #1. Excited!

Just wondering if anyone has experience of what it's like after removal - pain, bleeding etc and duration of after effects...

We're leaving in less than two weeks to go on a two week cycling holiday (!) and I am not sure whether to get it taken out this week or after we return. Sentimentally, would like to start TTC on holiday, but not keen on bleeding, pain etc interfering with the TTC, nor the cycling!

Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ecgwynn Mon 15-Aug-11 11:39:59

It hurt much less than putting it in. Just a tingling pain and then it was out. I had spotting/light bleeding for about a week afterwards, no big deal though, then I bled again about two weeks after removal and it was a bit heavier. I would wait until afterwards personally, but it wouldn't prevent you cycling if you removed it before.
Good luck! smile

herbietea Mon 15-Aug-11 11:47:59

Message withdrawn

eefs Mon 15-Aug-11 11:52:25

No noticable aftereffects here, and I conceived within two months....

Squirrel77 Mon 15-Aug-11 11:57:55

Wow! Thanks for that. I'm thinking I'll have it removed after the holiday at this stage... but I've only had it in 6 months, wonder whether that might lessen the amount of bleeding etc?

Impatientwino Mon 15-Aug-11 13:35:45

I have had two removed (both having been in situ for 5 years) and had no side effects with either removal - maybe a tiny bit of spot bleeding but that was it.

Certainly nothing to prevent me from exercising or anything?

Good luck with TTC!

Gincognito Mon 15-Aug-11 13:39:31

I had mine removed to ttc number one, no side effects. Started ttc relatively soon after removal. Ds is 9.5 months smile

If you can get through having one put in having never given birth, having it taken out is a walk in the park!

Good luck.

buttonmoon1985 Fri 19-Aug-11 02:08:34

i had mine removed the end of may this yr, everythings been ok im still not sure of my cycle but i expected things to take a while to get back to normal. ive had no pain you should be fine x good luck

Squirrel77 Sun 02-Oct-11 09:44:26

Thanks again everyone. Had it out two days ago - felt like a punch in the stomach having it removed, but that subsided quickly. Now time to TTC! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now