Talk

Advanced search

Could I be pregnant? Do these dates work please?

(9 Posts)
HappyAsIAm Mon 15-Aug-11 10:29:25

DH and I are not using contraception, and I would be delighted to be pregnant, although we aren't actively trying. DH would be over the moon.

We have a 3 1/2 yo DS already, and I know from TTC with him that I ovulate on Day 12 as we used an ovulation testing kit. I was lucky enough to fall pregnant on the first month of trying with him.

DH and I had unprotected sex on day 9 of my cycle this month, and my next period is due in 10 days time. So if I know that I ovulate on day 12 (well, I ovulated on day 12 when we were TTC DS, so I assume that I still ovulate on day 12), and we had unprotected sex on day 9, could I be pregnant do you think?

Sorry to sound so uninformed.

Biscuitsandtea Mon 15-Aug-11 10:57:04

Happy - I think the only answer I'm afraid is 'wait and see'.

Yes you could be pregnant. I would say though that is you only monitored your ovulation for one cycle before then it doesn't necessarily mean you ovulate every cycle on day 12. It can still vary by a day or two each month (r sometimes even more if you have irregular cycles).

If you ovulated on day 12 and if your DH's sperm managed to live for 3 days, which is all possible, then you might be pregnant.

I have regular 28 day cycles but after monitoring them it became apparent that I still ovulated on a different day each cycle. The bit between ovulation and your period starting is called your luteal phase and that tends to be fairly consistent in terms of the number of days from month to month. But can still vary easily by 1 or 2 days in my experience.

I would say that monitoring for one month probably doesn't give you enough data to establish a pattern.

The other thing to keep in mind that that was your cycle before you were pregnant etc. Have you been on the pill or anything in between having DS and trying again now? Because that can mess with your cycles etc too.

It's really early days if you are still 10 days away from your period due date so in short, yes, you 'could' be pregnant, as could most people if they have unprotected sex, but the only way to know is to wait and see.

I do hope you get the answer you want though - good luck.

HappyAsIAm Mon 15-Aug-11 12:13:52

Thanks for your reply Biscuits - I was lucky to get pregnany on the first month of trying with DS so I am very uninformed. Who knows, eh?! This month's experience has helped me though, as previously I wasn't sure if I wanted to try for another baby, but as the month is going by, I realise that actually I woudl quite like to be pregnant. So fingers crossed, if not for this month, then for another.

If you are TTC, I wish you the best of luck.

Biscuitsandtea Mon 15-Aug-11 12:42:30

You're welcome Happy. Hope you get your bfp soon then if not this month. smile

And I hope in the nicest possible way that you manage to stay uninformed about the perils of ttc (ie you don't have a cause to go into the finer details because you fall pg again). It has taken us 19 months ttc no 2 but am currently 7 weeks pg so have my fingers crossed that I can keep hold of this one after all this time smile

HappyAsIAm Tue 16-Aug-11 09:38:42

Congratulations Biscuits, you must be absolutely over the moon, and I wish you every success over the next 33 weeks or so.

HappyAsIAm Mon 22-Aug-11 13:49:26

Biscuits, clearblue digital says that I am 2-3 weeks pregnant! I tested today, 2 days before my period is due. I am so surprised! Just digesting the news, but I am surprised in a good way. Wow.

HeidiHole Mon 22-Aug-11 14:19:50

Wow congratulations! you make it seem so effortless smile Well done and enjoy!

HappyAsIAm Mon 22-Aug-11 15:00:42

Heidi, Looking at this board makes me doubly realise just how lucky I am. I wouldn't lose sight of that. Its amazing and I am absolutely stunned. I haven't been able to form any more reaction than that! My mouth is opening and closing like a goldfish and I look a right idiot. I wish you and everyone else every success in TTC.

Biscuitsandtea Mon 22-Aug-11 18:27:44

Oh that's great news Happyasiam - really pleased for you smile. Have a happy and healthy next 8 months or so grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now