Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if I've ovulated on Clomid, is it possible at day 21?

(8 Posts)
Thinkbright Mon 15-Aug-11 09:38:42

Hi everyone,
I'm on my second cycle of Clomid. I'm not certain if I ovulated last month but my temperature increased on day 21 and remained high. I then had my period on day 29. I'm worried that if I did ovulate my luteal phase is only 8 days. Does anyone else have experience of late ovulation with Clomid? Is it possible to get pregnant. Very uncertain and confused sad
Thanks

LucyRaggyDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 09:59:02

Did your consultant do checks on you the first month? I had a day 21 progesterone test to check I did ovulate and also an ultrasound on day 12 to check follicles. I would expect them to do the same to ensure you're responding to the dose correctly.

I think it's unlikely to ovulate as late as day 21. Apparently you can't trust your temps too much on clomid.

See what happens this month and if you're still concerned, contact your consultant again.

Good luck

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 15-Aug-11 11:03:59

Who prescribed the clomid; ideally you should be under the care of a cons gynae.

Clomid's main and only job is to make the ovaries work harder.

You should be monitored closely every month whilst on clomid as it is quite powerful stuff. It is usually given for a max of six months after which time other treatments should be tried.

No monitoring at all is a complete no-no as you do not know whether its doing what it is supposed to.

You can have a temp rise in the second half of the cycle when the egg has not been shed. Charting and clomid are an uneasy mix, I would refrain from charting at all whilst on clomid. You will get far more accurate results with a combination of blood tests and internal ultrasounds to see that an egg has actually left the ovary.

Udderly Mon 15-Aug-11 11:16:11

2nd what all others said about blood tests for prog levels and follicle tracking scans. Clomid doesn't work for everyone. I went from conceiving easily but miscarrying to not concieving at all on Clomid. I was prescribed a different med and conceived 1st month.

FootsFirst Mon 15-Aug-11 11:27:54

Perfectly possible. On round one we panicked as I was not ovulating and rang consultant on day 20 - who said up to day 23-24 considered normal. I ovulated on day 22 in the end.
Be warned though - round two I ovulated on day 14

LucyRaggyDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 11:35:39

FootsFirst - when you ovulated on day 22, when did your period turn up? <thread hijack alert> I have had bang on 33 day cycles for the 7 months on clomid. And today I am day 36 and no period. And BFN. Just wondered if you had a range of cycle lengths. Ta. smile

Thinkbright Mon 15-Aug-11 11:54:56

Thanks for all your replies. I saw a gynaecologist about 2 years ago who diagnosed me with PCOS. When my husband and I decided to conceive about a year ago and had no luck, I wrote to the gyn who passed a letter on to my GP, suggesting Clomid. They have mentioned no blood tests or scans. I am going to the GP tomorrow as I was going to ask about a 21 day progesterone. I only have 3 cycles worth, so I'm guessing they would look into it closer if I hadn't conceived after that. I feel pretty worried now though that they have just left me to get on with it.
Maybe a silly question, but if you don't ovulate on clomid are you likely to have a period at day 29 when I normally do at day 50-70? I thought that having a period at the normal time was a good thing. Footsfirst- ovulation day can change a lot between cycles then? Do you ladies all know when you ovulated exactly because of the tests etc?
Thanks so much everyone, this is really helpful smile

FootsFirst Mon 15-Aug-11 19:10:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now