Talk

Advanced search

Metformin and pregnancy....keep taking??

(9 Posts)
razzdazz Thu 11-Aug-11 16:31:13

Hi all, hope somebody can helphmm. I was started on metformin due to my pcos. Only been on it this month and have just had a BFPshock. Does anyone no if I should continue taking metformin or not? What have others been told to do? Consultant and nurse both on leave this week (typical) so cant ask them.
Many thanks, razz

OvO Thu 11-Aug-11 16:35:12

I was told to keep on taking mine and that continuing it may even lessen the risk of miscarriage.

But don't listen to randoms on the Internet wink and ask to speak to a different consultant for some advice.

Contests on the BFP! grin

pinkapples Thu 11-Aug-11 19:50:59

I would not take it as it hasn't been proven whether it causes birth defects or not... Better to be safe than sorry congrats x

SlightlyBabyCrazed Thu 11-Aug-11 20:11:38

Ooooooh - congratulations!
I just started taking this month, hope I'm as lucky as you! I was told that I should keep taking but would definitely double check with consultant first. x

LaraandLittleBean Fri 12-Aug-11 15:14:45

Can you ring your GP?

I took Metformin on a reduced dosage until my 12 week scan. I am now 25 weeks pregnant.

worldgonecrazy Fri 12-Aug-11 15:22:21

Can you speak to a consultant? My GP wasn't very clued up on Metformin. I was advised to take it to 12 weeks but ended up taking it to 17 weeks just in case. I researched it quite heavily before taking it for PCOS as I had IVF and a previous miscarriage. Have a very happy and healthy little girl.

BartletForAmerica Fri 12-Aug-11 16:05:20

Metformin is thought to be safe throughout pregnancy (hardly anything is deemed completely safe in pregnancy as, understandably, no-one wants to do drug trials in pregnant women), so it will depend on what your consultant thinks of the risks of continuing it compared to its benefits.

One very recent study (there are plenty if you look at PubMed) suggests that continuing it reduces problems such as gestational diabetes, which is seen more in women with PCOS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21530058

I think you'd be fine to continue taking it until you can speak to someone next week.

Also, congratulations on the BFP!

CLS101 Tue 23-Aug-11 11:49:23

Do carry on taking for at least until 12 weeks. Have a look at the Verity Forum, they have great advice on there for PCOS!

Congrats btw !

seeingonlyred Tue 23-Aug-11 11:55:27

My consultant advised me to continue taking metformin up to 15 weeks. I had a history of miscarriage and he was of the opinion that there was some evidence to prove it may reduce the risk in women with PCOS.

My GP was unsure but advised me to take the advice of the consultant.

I now have a healthy DS. I will never know if the metformin helped but if I was in the same position again I would continue to take it.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now