Talk

Advanced search

Am I too fat to be TTC??

(10 Posts)
Signet2012 Wed 10-Aug-11 20:37:20

I keep seeing more and more reference to being overweight and problems and Im starting to get concerned.

I have a BMI of 35, I am chubby but my BMI is always high even when Im really slim because Im heavy, always heavy even when Im not big enough to look what I weigh if that makes sense?

Im perfectly healthy and have low blood pressure, active etc Im just heavy!

I know i could do with losing some and i will and am currently on Slimming World but if I get a BFP and Im this BMI what will happen? Will it make it more difficult for me to get preg?

Thanks all

x

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Aug-11 20:41:14

There are lots of reasons why you may be finding it hard to TTC, but health professionals always want you to loose weight first to rule that out or make things easier. I know several heavy ladies who have conceived easily or accidentally though.

havealittlefaithbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 20:46:39

Tbh it's both ttc and pregnancy. Being overweight may cause fertility problems and certainly can make pcos worse. Being pregnant and overweight puts you and baby at increased risks...gestational diabetes is more common for example. I think they recommend you're more careful to gain less weight when pregnant. But then hey I'm ttc with a bmi of 31. Each af means another month to lose a few more pounds!

goingmadtrying Wed 10-Aug-11 20:56:04

Hi signet I too am overweight and ttc #3 have always been big and bmi over 35 with my other 2 children. Had a really good chat with my gp about it, what he did advise is that sometimes a couple of pounds will make all the difference, he also advised that 2 of the hormones produced to make you ovulate regularly etc can get diluted in someone larger. What my gp has suggested is to lose a couple of pounds but not a drastic diet just some healthy eating and exercise. Hope this helps smile

Signet2012 Wed 10-Aug-11 21:38:30

Hi all, Thanks for the replies, I havent been trying that long but Im just getting a bit concerned that i should maybe stop trying and lose weight first if its going to cause issues. Hopefully I will lose weight the way Im going just got my first half a stone award tonight

Signet2012 Wed 10-Aug-11 21:38:58

what should be BMI be for pregnancy is it 31?

goingmadtrying Wed 10-Aug-11 21:52:57

I'm not sure what bmi is, but I would say it won't definately cause you problems, it didn't with my first 2, just if your having problems that's one they can advise you can help if it's lower. Well done on losing half stone, keep going and I'm sure it will happen soon for you smile

GlaikitFizzog Wed 10-Aug-11 22:01:58

Signet, my BMI was and is still higher that yours. We TTC DS for 3 years and thought it wasn;t happening. the pow, surprise BFP! I had a fairly problem free pregnancy. I had SPD quite badly, but I;ve been told that had nothing to do with my weight, but it may have exaserbated(Sp?) it.

FWIW I lost almost 2 stone just beofre my BFP and the Dr said that probably helped us conceive. Keep going as you are and try not to think about it, it was when we thought it wasn;t going to happen that it did! We found out we were expecting the day of our first appointment at the fertility clinic smile.

havealittlefaithbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 22:34:05

Well done losing that first half stone smile
Ideally your bmi should be 20-25 but under 30 takes you out of the 'obese' eurgh horrid term category. The risks for ttc and pregnancy relate to obesity. Basically the closer to a healthy weight you can get, the better. Mind you as fizzog says, many women are fine. my dsis was with Dnephew (was heavier than I am now and same height).
keep going but stay positive smile

Signet2012 Wed 10-Aug-11 22:36:00

thanks i will!

I hate this stupid BMI business a few years ago i lost a fair bit of weight to the point people where concerned abut me as i literally looked ill and didnt have an inch to grab anywhere but I was still classed as obese!!! will keep chipping away at it im sure it will come off! Thanks for the replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now