Talk

Advanced search

21 day blood test, confused by results, can anyone explain what this means please?

(8 Posts)
Notinmykitchen Tue 09-Aug-11 21:22:16

I went for my results today following my 21 day blood test. I was told that my progesterone level was 23, and should be 30 if I had ovulated. The doctor then went on to say that if I was having regular periods then I probably was ovulating. I am now thoroughly confused, is this likely to mean I am or I'm not? As far as I know everything else was OK. DH is reluctant to get checked out, and they won't refer us to a clinic until that is done, so not sure where to go from here. If anyone can explain what this means I would be grateful!

blowthewindsoutherly Tue 09-Aug-11 21:25:01

What is your cycle length? Do you know when you normally ovulate?

Dredging my memory banks here but I had this test on day 21 of my cycle but I had very short cycles and as far as I can remember it's not day 21, per se, that is important - it's being 7 days after you ovulate. I had ovulated on something like day 10 or 11 and, as a result, got a low reading for progesterone.

That was the month I was pregnant!

stripeywoollenhat Tue 09-Aug-11 21:28:08

i had a lowish reading on day 21, and a much higher one on day 18 - my cycle's not that long, and luteal phase shorter than normal: 10-11 days, not 14. it may be something like this. have you tried temping to work out when you ovulate?

Notinmykitchen Tue 09-Aug-11 21:42:34

Thanks for the replies. Cycle is usually about 36 days, I've been using OPK,s and I do get a positive on them. Luteal phase does seem to be about 10/11 days, does that make the progesterone drop quicker? I had the test 7 days after I got a positive OPK as day 21 for me would have been before I could have ovulated.

Gintonic Tue 09-Aug-11 22:13:19

Hi there, I had mine done recently and I have just looked up my results. My level was 26, and the GP told me that was a bit on the high side. When I went to the hospital and saw the fertility unit they said it was fine and meant I had ovulated. So I am not sure why your GP told you it should be 30?

In case it is any help, my results sheet also tells you the ranges they expect to see, which are:
Follicular phase - less than 1
Luteal phase - 2.6 - 21.5
Mid luteal phase - 2.6 - 21.5
Post menopausal - less than 0.4 (well at least you know that isnt you)

I also just did a quick google search, and people seem to be saying that 15 - 20 shows that you have ovulated.

But you dont want to rely on google - if you've been trying a while, can you persuade DP to get himself checked out, so's you can get referred and speak to an expert? Good luck with it.

Gin

eurochick Tue 09-Aug-11 22:30:13

Most drs say you ovulate on 30. Some quote 25 or 35.

If you google, make sure you look at UK sites because some countries (e.g. the US) use a different test with a different scale.

You might not have been 7dpo when you had it done. When I have used OPKs and temped, my positive usually came 1-3 days before my temps indicated ovulation, so you might have been 5 or 6 dpo.

Periods don't definitely mean you are ovulating. You can have periods without (and you can ovulate without having periods), apparently.

If you want to get checked out, you will have to talk your husband into cooperating. Most drs won't do much in the way of investigations on you without him being tested. Quite reasonably, as the tests for you get progressively invasive and expensive and all he has to do is spaff in a pot.

havealittlefaithbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 06:41:28

They should really test again just to be sure. I've had a few done, just to clarify it peaks 7 days before period is due therefore the result varies if its not done at right time. I'm sure the actual lab results say <18 suggest anovulatory but a result over 30 confirms ovulation. My GP rested mine 3 times and the fertility clinic rechecked them (my cycle us irregular so It's tricky to know when 7 days before af is!). So your result is probably ok but may be worth asking them to repeat it.

Notinmykitchen Wed 10-Aug-11 09:17:36

That is really helpful thanks all.

Eurochick I think you may just have explained both why the test came out as it did, and why I am not pregnant yet. I've been using OPK's, doing the necessary on the day I get a positive then leaving it at that, it would make sense if I am actually ovulating a day or so later and therefore missing it. Fingers crossed for this month now, I think a new approach is called for!

Gin, thanks for the explanation, I am working on DH. He said he will "Give it some thought" He took a bit of persuading to try for a second in the first place, so I guess it is a fairly big ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now