Talk

Advanced search

truth please

(9 Posts)
Andrewofgg Tue 09-Aug-11 20:29:01

Family man speaking, own son grown up.

If I can't get honest truth here I can't get it anywhere.

My niece is 36 and has been ttc for years. She is in her first cycle of IVF - I gather she will be allowed three - and has had two embryos implanted, or whatever the verb is - and now we wait.

Please, people, what numerically are her chances (1) of getting pregnant at all and (2) of twins if she does? Women of family, bless them, don't want to say too much because they are superstitious about spoiling her chances, but damn it, I want to know my prospects of being a great-uncle again!

Thanks to anyone who can tell me anything. And I will keep it to myself.

kat2504 Tue 09-Aug-11 20:49:09

Google can answer this question for you I'm sure.

pinkapples Tue 09-Aug-11 21:04:10

The best thing to do is check the website of the clinic where she is having treatment that will give you their stats

Andrewofgg Tue 09-Aug-11 21:04:58

I am a prat not to have thought of that. Tried it now. Not encouraging, oh dear.

Wish us all luck, folks, it's all she really wants in life. I know some of you will think that is sad, but there it is, that's how she is.

Andrewofgg Tue 09-Aug-11 21:06:56

By "that" I meant Google, pinkapples, just seen your post and thank you. No idea which clinic it is and my only source of information, my sister, will certainly not tell me.

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 09-Aug-11 21:10:32

It's a higher risk strategy to use two eggs. It's likely only one will actually implant but there's more risk with the pregnancy for both babies. The stats will vary depending on her circumstances so that's probably why you can't find it on Google. I hope it's successful.

eurochick Tue 09-Aug-11 23:27:52

It depends on the age, clinic and other factors but it's v roughly 30% per round of IVF.

I think one of the clinics (Lister?) has a calculator on its website where you can enter in your circs and it will tell you your chances. It does differ from clinic to clinic, but it'll give you a rough idea.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 10-Aug-11 08:58:10

I know nothing about the stats and possibilities of t working I just wanted to say I understand where she is coming from. I was told I had unexplained infertility and was refused IVF. I'm now the very proud mother of 2 DC, conceived naturally. So there is always hope. I wish her well

mrsden Wed 10-Aug-11 09:06:36

As euro said, it depends on a whole host of factors and probably a bit of luck to so it is impossible for us to give you any idea. There is an online calculator www.ivfpredict.com/index-1.html here but I think you'll need to know some information about your niece to get a prediction. I really wish her well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now