Talk

Advanced search

Switching type of pill mid cycle? Can I?

(11 Posts)
Luckylam Tue 09-Aug-11 18:50:21

Hi 4 days into taking mini pill, could I safely switch back to cilest just now and still be protected?

Thanks

1sttimetryer Tue 09-Aug-11 19:14:53

Im unsure but i think you would have to use another type of protection, when i was going to come off the combined pill and onto the mini pill the doctor told me to use condoms because i wouldnt be safe from getting pregnant otherwise.

Luckylam Tue 09-Aug-11 19:20:33

Thanks 1sttime. I might just stick with mini pill just now just a bit apprehensive as heard bad reports of the side affects. Planning on ttc in the next few months so just want to be on whatever one gives me least grief! X

kat2504 Tue 09-Aug-11 20:48:30

No you wouldn't be protected if you switch back now. You would be on extra precautions for at least a week, possibly more. If you want to ttc in the next few months you would be best to come off the pill altogether to allow your cycles to resume and use other methods in the meantime. If you want to go back on cilest, either stop the mini pill and await a period, or look up how long you have to wait on cilest if you are starting it after day 5 of your cycle. I suspect it might be 2 weeks. Googling cilest patient information leaflet may give you your answer.

bugsylugs Tue 09-Aug-11 22:44:39

mini pill has quicker return to fertility (less so cerazette) than cocp. you may have no problems with se. I had none other than remembering to take it.

Luckylam Wed 10-Aug-11 09:16:12

Thanks guys, kat your right I could start cilest today (day 5) and use protection for a week. Reluctant to stop taking pill completely just now as not ready to start ttc.

1sttimetryer Wed 10-Aug-11 11:34:05

I was going to come off the pill the cycle before ttc but doctor ended up taking me off it beforehand and now i wish id done it a lot sooner, my cycles are all over the place and in 6 months ive only had 2 Af's just to warn you that it doesnt always go as you plan!!

trilottie Wed 10-Aug-11 16:09:38

Luckylam - I agree with 1sttimetryer - nobody told me that the cycles can take up to 18 months to get back to normal after coming off the pill so now I feel its my duty to warn everyone I can! Been 10 weeks and still no AF. Good luck!

1sttimetryer Wed 10-Aug-11 20:09:42

Im the same as you trilottie, im warning everyone about it and i will never be going on the pill/inplant etc again!! Are you taking your temperature? i started taking mine and i finally ovulated on day 57, AF or BFP should be here in a weeks time! this is the first cycle taking my temperature. good luck

trilottie Thu 11-Aug-11 12:23:12

Yeah I started charting almost immediately as soon as I came off it, reading the books, taking the tablets, eating healthily and what not. Nothings happening so far. I'm on CD 67 now. Seeing the dr next week but I don't hold out much hope they'll be able to help, probably just tell me to wait. Good luck!

1sttimetryer Thu 11-Aug-11 17:03:38

Hope they will be able to help you, they have told me they will do tests in september, so hopefully they will be able to help you too. good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now