Talk

Advanced search

Fertility in 40s....regular AF but fertility dwindling??

(5 Posts)
dottyaboutstripes Mon 08-Aug-11 11:36:42

I am still having regular AFs. She arrived bang on time today as expected. Thing is, we've been ttc for something like 16 cycles now and not even a sniff of a BFP. Those of you in the know - would you expect that I'm still fertile as AF appears when expected on my usual 25 day cycle? I'm 41. Don't chart, temp etc. Have sex at the right time but it's just not happening.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 08-Aug-11 12:34:27

25 days seems quite a short cycle to me, do you have any idea when you ovulate? It might be worth going to the docs and asking for blood tests to ensure all yor hormone levels are ok. And getting a sperm sample done for your dp too. I've just turned 37, good hormone levels in my results, sperm good, conceieved ds v easily 4 years ago and am now onto month 16 without a sniff of a bfp either. I have no idea why it doesn't work, but it is very frustrating.

Good luck to you, there is a thread specifically for over 40's i think and someone on there may well have a better idea of fertility vs age than me.

Dragini Tue 09-Aug-11 12:10:13

I'm 39 and fertility dr assured me that I'm still producing eggs because AF is regular, but still no BFP here either...

I agree with ninja, 25 days does seem a bit short and it could be something quite simple to help lengthen your cycle and get that bloomin BFP! Go and have some tests so you know what you're dealing with. I've started some chinese accupuncture which has changed the whole nature of my AF and maybe that could help you too, but that's a whole different thread...

dottyaboutstripes Tue 09-Aug-11 15:51:49

I've had 25 day cycles for 8 years or so now and conceived 4 times in that time (3 successful, 1 mc) so that's not an issue. I used opks when ttc my youngest and they showed ovulation was cd 11 as I'd thought. I suppose egg quality could be an issue at my age rather than not ovulating. I've conceived so easily in the past but I suppose things must've gone downhill massively since my last BFP at 38y9m

BagofHolly Tue 09-Aug-11 21:12:14

It's an egg quality issue plus a thinning endometrium according to my gynae. Women in their 50s often have a regular cycle but this is not a reflection of fertility at that point. At your age I'd be wheeling in big guns if you're certain you really want another baby. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now