Talk

Advanced search

HELP! PCOS, due for HSG on Friday, can they do this during AF?

(13 Posts)
hippieshake Mon 08-Aug-11 08:59:52

I have PCOS and I don't ovulate, have extremely irregular periods both in how far apart they are and how long I bleed for (up to three weeks of bleeding).

I have a HSG scheduled for Friday, but I'm having cramps like I'm about to start my period.

Does anyone know if they can still perform this test if I do end up being on my period?

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 08-Aug-11 09:04:36

No they can't do it if you're bleeding. Wait and see, give them a ring if af comes they'll have to rearrange it.

hippieshake Mon 08-Aug-11 09:06:01

Oh no, I thought that might be the case. I've been waiting for this appointment for ages now.

Hopefully it's just cramping and nothing will happen.

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 08-Aug-11 12:29:41

When I had mine they made me call when af started so they could get the right timing. Where are you in your cycle?

hippieshake Mon 08-Aug-11 18:38:17

I don't have regular cycles so it's really hard to say. I've only had AF three times this year, once at the beginning of Jan, one in June, and then once in July.
I'm on day 27, but I don't really think that means much to me.
I've been having bloods done at the hospital since Jan and I haven't ovulated yet.

I haven't really been given much information about it either, I got a letter confirming my appointment, saying that I'd need to be prepared for an overnight stay due to going under general anesthetic. I phoned the hospital and they said I'm not having that so I can ignore it, it's just a generic letter they send out. So I have no info at all on the HSG.

ellangirl Mon 08-Aug-11 18:40:08

I was still having light bleeding at the end of my period when i had mine, and it was fine, but heavier bleeding would be a problem.

hippieshake Mon 08-Aug-11 18:49:17

Did they tell you that if you'd been bleeding more then they wouldn't have done it?
I'm hoping that my body will hold out until Friday afternoon, just enough to get me through the test. I've had quite bad cramps since Friday though so I think it's imminent.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 08-Aug-11 18:56:40

Hi, unfortunately they can't do it if you're bleeding. You should call them if you get your period so they can reschedule for a few weeks later.
I had this problem and I got really stressed about it - it was ok rebooking though. Hopefully your period won't come but if it does try and think of it as another chance for your body to ovulate

hippieshake Sat 13-Aug-11 08:06:57

Update:

AF held off so I had my HSG yesterday. Really uncomfortable but the really good news is that my tubes aren't blocked so hopefully we'll be starting on Clomid in September! smile

havealittlefaithbaby Sat 13-Aug-11 09:06:47

smile really glad you were able to get it done and that things can move forward now.

hippieshake Sun 14-Aug-11 16:59:10

Me again... sorry.
I was just wondering if those of you who have had the HSG test had any pain afterwards?
It's two days after and I'm having a bruised like tender pain in my lower abdomen, I can't seem to get comfortable and it aches to walk etc..

havealittlefaithbaby Sun 14-Aug-11 17:06:53

Oh gosh yes was in agony on codiene for three days after. Eased up by the Sunday when it was done on Wednesday.

hippieshake Sun 14-Aug-11 17:20:13

Thanks, I'm getting bored of resting. DH keeps trying to get me to lie down, poor man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now