Talk

Advanced search

NHS ferility appointment - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
cookiemonster100 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:37:41

Hey,

After TTC for what seems like an eternity, and not falling pg, I am having my first appt at the hospital in a few weeks after being referred by the GP. I am after experiences, and learnings from anyone who has been through this process, if you don't mind sharing.

I can see from the hospital letter, that my GP had not done one of the test (day 2 blood tests), however I have had Day 21 blood test, smear and DH swimmers! do you think it will be a problem? I will have to wait till next cycle to carry this out.

Thanks for sharing,

pinkapples Sun 07-Aug-11 20:46:52

Hi
Dh and I have been ttc for about 10 months properly but have been SWI for 4 years with no BFP.

I wouldn't worry about not having the bloods done, I had nothing when I went for my first apt except dh's sperm analysis. The first apt was about an hour we talked about medical history and possible options. I already knew what was making me unable to conceive (pcos) so this made the treatment slightly more straightforward. It has been pretty quick to you'll be glad to know but it does depend on where u are... I'm in Wiltshire we had our first apt in sept last year and the consultant said to come back with another blood test and another sperm analysis from dh as the previous one was a year or so back in the records smile

Then we went back in november where she wrote a prescription (the second was about half hour) for Clomid it didn't work for me but if the treatment they offer you does then you won't need to go back (like I said depends on what is up)

Fingers crossed for you though keep us posted grin

Gintonic Mon 08-Aug-11 23:16:58

Hi there,

I had my first appt recently. If you havent already, I would advise asking your GP to print off copies of every test you have had done so far, and also your partner's sperm analysis and blood tests if he has had those done. You would think the GP would send this through, but the hospital hardly had any information about us and had to photocopy the information we had taken.

My first appt involved taking a very detailed history, and I was then sent for more tests. The doctor was very helpful and had time to answer all our questions. I go back at the end of August to find out what happens next.

Good luck!

cookiemonster100 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:09:56

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Gintonic - funnily enough I rang the practice today to get a print out of all the tests that have been done on me & DH. I am going to pick it up tonight. It is quite odd that the different depts do not communicate with each other!!

Does it matter of DH can't make the appt? He works in central london and the appt is local to us right in the middle of the day. Thoughts pls? I have asked him if he could come as a) support, b) gives the right impression to the docs.

pinkapples Tue 09-Aug-11 19:45:30

I don't suppose it matters really but it is quite a bit deal as it's your first apt and they say it is for the both of you as your going through it together they did highlight that in my apt letter but It's up to the individual person I'm going to my next apt alone as hubby is on shift x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now