Talk

Advanced search

chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage...anyone experience that ever?

(11 Posts)
lady24 Wed 03-Aug-11 18:56:14

Hi I am really confused about what just happened to me. Began ttc about 4 months ago. I already have a child 2 yrs old and feel its time for the next. My periods usually come within the range of 29-31 days apart from each other. The past 2 cycles however have been 26 days apart, although i have no idea if this fact has anything to do with what happened. About a week and half ago I took a pregnancy test on day 29 of my cycle and got very faint positive results. Naturally I was excited and so was DH. However, I just started bleeding today, about 41 days since my period. The bleeding is very light, very unlike my usual periods and I have no menstrual cramps which are usually brutal. Can I still be pregnant or is this just an early miscarriage I am so confused. Read up a lot about chemical pregnancy (that's what it's called) and found out this is quit common. Anyone have any similar experience, please share them. Any advice please let me know. Thanks!!

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 19:00:34

Chemical pregnancies are quite common and sadly up to 50% of cycles in a woman ttc will result in one. We only really know so much about them due to early testing.

It's difficult to know really. Have you done another test? You might be having a cp, you might be pregnant and it's implantation bleeding or some other form of bleeding.

I've been there though. Couple of chemical pregnancies and an early miscarriage. And every time it's a matter of time will tell.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your question but I can sympathise if that helps?

lady24 Wed 03-Aug-11 19:11:10

thanks showoffhands. Sorry about all your experiences. No I haven't done another test which is why I am not totally positive I was pregnant in the first place. I guess time will tell. Do you think i should do another test to see if I am still preg and it was only early bleeding or something like that?

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 19:24:20

Again it's hard. If it was a chemical pregnancy you'd expect a negative test because generally the egg fails around the time of implantation and therefore hormone levels remain low. With a miscarriage, there can be residual hormones which can make you test positive when in fact you have miscarried. And then of course you could just test positive and actually be pregnant. It would give you some idea either way but not a definitive answer. I think if I were you and I speak purely from my own point of view, I'd do a test. If negative, I'd just assume it was a cp and wait for a few weeks to see what my cycle did. If it was positive I'd ask for a referral to see what's actually happening either way.

razzdazz Wed 03-Aug-11 19:46:45

Hi lady24, I have sadly had 4 chemical pregnancies, tested positive on 1st day of missed period only to begin bleeding within a couple of days. My tests were always weakly positive and I would always retest when bleeding began. The result was always negative straight away. I have now made the decision not to test until at least a week after I am late to try to avoid the disappointment that I always feel. I would say just re-test but that is only because I always need to no rather than continuing to hope.
Wishing you all the best x

lady24 Wed 03-Aug-11 19:52:29

thanks everyone for your advice and support. I guess does not hurt to test again just to be sure.

lady24 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:21:02

i tested again this morning and the test is still positive but i am still bleeding?????????does anyone know what this could be?

KlairvoyantKat Thu 04-Aug-11 08:24:39

Is your new test darker than the old one? If it is that would be a good sign, although if you are still pregnant, you need to go and get the bleeding checked out. Some people have bleeding in pregnancy and it turns out ok, for others it is unfortunately the start of a miscarriage.
Fingers crossed for a happy outcome!

havealittlefaithbaby Thu 04-Aug-11 08:37:57

Get yourself to a hospital, ideally an early pregnancy unit to check things out. Hope everything is ok.

Ilovekittyelise Thu 04-Aug-11 10:20:04

i agree the best thing to do is go to an early pregnancy unit (EPU).

i had a chemical pregnancy, but the bleeding was quite heavy, which yours doesnt sound to be. some people do bleed in the the first trimester, particularly with multiple pregnancies.

the pregnancy test can be misleading following a CP, as the pregnancy hormone takes a while to subside from your blood stream; short of getting serial HCG tests at doctor the only thing you can do is a clear blue digital - with my CP it stayed at 1-2 weeks, whereas if the level of hormone is rising then you will see 2-3 or 3+; but again, the ranges are quite variable so its not an exact science - get yourself to EPU to find out for sure.

good luck and let us know how you get on x

havealittlefaithbaby Fri 05-Aug-11 22:33:46

Any news op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now