Talk

Advanced search

If you leave a pregnancy test long enough does it go to a positive result?

(14 Posts)
used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 08:45:43

Seriously, am not as stupid as the title suggests! Two tests now have gone positive after drying out-Tesco cheapy ones, they take forever to even show a line in the test window, ten mins plus which I know is when you are meant to bin them. tried a clearblue one and it said negative but that wasn't an early morning sample. Is it just that they eventually do go to positive if left long enough? Or is it just that the tesco ones are rubbish!

kat2504 Tue 02-Aug-11 08:52:36

This is what is called an evaporation line. Are you sure the line has colour in it. If you are sure it is faint but the right colour, test again in a day or two, it might be a very low positive that you have today.

On a cautionary note, I dipped an internet cheapy in a glass of orange squash to compare the result to another stick I had pissed on. Clearly my beverage is not pregnant, but after a while, there appeared to be a faint line, like a greyish shadow where the line ought to be.

If you can't wait two days, buy a first response as I find they are very reliable and don't give evaporation lines or confusing results. However they are expensive and it will piss you off spending a tenner if you aren't actually pregnant.
Good luck smile

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:02:00

omg at orange! Well the line is dark red like the test one but the first one I did sunday was faint pink- that one was after ten mins or so. The problem is the tesco ones take so long to dry out I think.

Maybe I will wait a few days but I suspect I am not pregnant. Otoh I only had sex 8 days ago so shouldn't really be testing yet anyway!

Oh and the hcg thing-is it stronger in the morning due to concentration/ If I DIDN'T WEE FOR HOURS ON END TODAY WOULD IT HAVE THE SAME EFFECT?

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:02:49

Oops got over excited then didn't mean to shout! Thanks for your help I am so clueless about this stuff.

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:05:40

Should have said- the one that is dark red has been sat in the drawer (hiding my pg test obsession from DP as he'll say just wait) for around 24 hours. The one sun am was faint pink after ten mins or more. Then every other one I have done including this morning first thing has been neg.

kat2504 Tue 02-Aug-11 09:07:20

If it has gone from pink to red I will offer you my tentative congratulations. hopefully your next test will come up within the time limit. Try a different brand. If you think FR are too pricey, try Superdrug's early result test. they are half the price. I found the line came up quite quickly, certainly within the time limit.

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:15:21

Thank you. One went from pink all over for around fifteen mins to dark red when left 24 hours and the other from pink all over to faint pink. I really hope it is a positive which is mad really, it isnt the most convenient time but I would be very happy nonetheless. I will try not to get too excited and try a first response today/tomorrow if I can wait that long. Thanks again.

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:23:04

Oh dear just googled evaporation lines and it looks like it could appear the same colour as the dye and to ignore any results after ten mins. Still going to get a first response I think just will try and wait a bit longer!

buggerlugs82 Tue 02-Aug-11 12:47:16

Marking my spot. Good luck OP. My DH also have NO idea of the amount i've bought smile

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 14:07:55

Its an expensive habit isn't it! the tesco ones are 2 for £2.50 but half of them don't work so false economy I think!

used2bthin Tue 02-Aug-11 22:07:11

Stupidly did another clesrblue test, negative. Now I have none left at least I will have to wait a while.

havealittlefaithbaby Wed 03-Aug-11 06:30:05

used when is af actually due? I think your results are ambiguous simply because pure testing too early. After 8(?) Days the hcg level would still be very low. You could well be pregnant but a cb wouldn't pick it up because they aren't that sensitive. Even the FR and Superdrug tests are about 70% accurate 4 days before af is due. Sit on your hands and test with fmu when your af is due. Look at the test within the appropriate time and you'll have the answer. I know it's difficult to wait but we all have to do it (and hey this is the 19th month if waiting for me!). Let us know how you get on.

used2bthin Wed 03-Aug-11 21:23:40

Thanks and yes you are right I know. With DD I tested 10 days after having sex and in the evening and it was a definate positive, the line came straight up. I think I am probably not as when we had sex was not really mid cycle, a bit early for that so my period isn't due for over a week (maybe even more-I just can't even remember my last period it was either a week before unprotected sex or two weeks!

used2bthin Wed 03-Aug-11 21:25:25

PS Good luck to you as well hope you don't have to wait much longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now