Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm possibly pregnant

(25 Posts)
Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 10:07:51

but I might just be going mad...it would mean an actual contraception failure, which I find it so hard to believe can really happen!

ok, well before anyone says take a test, I have, and it was an FRER, yesterday, and it was absolutely negative. I'm on CD 22 now and my cycles are pretty short, normally about 25/26 days so it ought to have been +.

I'd felt quite reassured until about 2.45am this morning when I woke up with the most awful period pain, which was constant for about 20 minutes then faded off.
This is pretty bizarre for me. I'm due on Thursday or Friday and normally only get pain when I'm actually 'on' or maybe a day before.

The reasons I think I'm pg are these: we only slept together once, and used a condom, but it was on the day I think I ovulated so if there was any slip up, it would have been bang on for conception. I don't know if anything could have happened with the condom, it seemed to be intact after as I asked.

I have had REALLY sore boobs and they seem to be bigger and heavier. This is not a normal PM symptom for me, and they've been sore for about a week now.
I keep needing the loo, even in the night which again is weird for me.
I've had cramping on anf off since about 5 days after we did it, again unusual for me.
And my gums have been bleeding a lot, I had a headache last night, which is rare for me, and then this incident in the early hours which really freaked me out.

I'm just wondering if it could have been something to do with implantation or if I'm imagining it...I'm a bit confused, if that only happened this morning might it explain the negative test?

I know I have to sit it out now for the rest of the week, but would appreciate your thoughts before I go insane.
Thankyou

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 10:13:58

You might have a uti, particularly with cramping, headaches and needing the loo a lot.

Of course it could be implantation and the only way you'll know is if you wait a few days and test again.

Of course contraceptives fail. For example, if condoms are 97% successful at preventing pregnancy, they won't work for 3%. And that's not condoms that break or aren't put on in time (this is user error), that 3% is a small sample of people who use condoms completely accurately with no known breaks or problems.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 10:16:29

Is it really the ones who do it right?

I wasn't sure, I thought it only included the blardy things breaking etc.. Thankyou btw smile

I hope it's not a UTI, don't think so as it doesn't hurt or anything. And it wouldn't explain the boobs.

however I know you are right and will wait and see.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 10:17:31

should implantation hurt that much though...hmm

maybe it is a UTI

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 10:29:16

I find implantation really sore tbh. Sort of a sharp, double over type pain and then sort of a bruised type feeling.

Yup, the failure rate for contraceptives is for when you do it absolutely right. If it breaks, you haven't used the contraceptive really so it doesn't count in the stats.

arancardigan Mon 01-Aug-11 10:36:23

I've used condoms as my contraceptive of choice all of my sexually active life, and I've never had a problem with them that resulted in pregnancy. The only time I got pg was when we were TTC.
They are a good choice for many reasons and even if you quote a 3% failure rate that is very small. Good luck honey, I'm sure you'll be OK.

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 10:39:10

Condoms are a very good contraceptive indeed. There are lots and lots of things in this life with the same tiny chance of happening and we don't give them a second though.

Though I only know how the statistics actually work because I was one of the 3% and having read threads on here, I know plenty of other people who fall into the same category.

I take a belts and braces approach now.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 10:40:56

Thanks. Well I got up to do the washing up and felt really shivery and dizzy - took temp and it's normal, 36.9. I feel like I have a fever but I don't.

So something's going on, could be a UTI, could be mastitis I suppose as still breastfeeding. But they both hurt.

I don't remember pregnancy making me feel this ill before, well not in the feverish kind of way I do.

I'll see what transpires later, maybe it will become clear... thanks for your help.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 10:43:20

Sorry, crossed posts...gosh I've never known anyone who really got pregnant while using contraception, before.
So it does happen..

Oh dear. I have a feeling I'm just ill though, now.

kat2504 Mon 01-Aug-11 16:05:53

In some info I have read about contraception, two different failure rates were quoted - perfect use versus typical use (accounting for human errors, slippage, taking your pill a few hours late, breakage.

For example, with perfect use the pill is 99.9% effective. With typical use you could expect that to go down to 95% or so. Condoms are supposed to be 97% effective with perfect use but with typical use (or misuse) that goes down to something shocking like 85%. I haven't looked up the exact figures but they are available on the internet. This is why the docs are always promoting the long-acting methods because there is less scope for messing it up.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 17:14:37

I wonder how it happens. There must be tiny holes or something.

I know the one we used was well within its date but it could have been a bit of human error involved, I was at the wrong end to know really.

Have been to Dr, temp went up a bit so we reckon UTI...thanks Showy, you were right. Now drinking cranberry juice and hoping to avoid antibiotics but have sent off a sample just in case.

I'll now go and sweat some more but not in the 'did we keep the baby clothes' type of way.

Anniversaire Mon 01-Aug-11 17:16:38

mind you the boobs thing is still unexplained. I'll let you know!

Anniversaire Tue 02-Aug-11 19:05:22

I need to ask someone about false positives, if anyone is an expert?

wine

Imustbecrazy26 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:18:49

Dont think you can get a false positive

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Tue 02-Aug-11 19:24:33

Have you had a positive today Anniversaire?

Anniversaire Tue 02-Aug-11 19:31:15

Yikes, well, i thought I had but I know what happened now./

See Sorry for being a weirdo and doing exactly that. blush

in case it doesn't work it's faq number 35.

<and breathe>

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 02-Aug-11 19:31:58

The only 'false' positive I know of is an early positive pregnancy where it doesn't implant and results in a chemical pregnancy, later tests are negative then you get af (possibly late).

Anniversaire Tue 02-Aug-11 19:32:13

Meant to say see here. Sorry for being etc etc

Anniversaire Tue 02-Aug-11 19:32:53

and that second post the link won't work, the first one should.

Things I never knew till I read POAS.com!

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 22:34:11

grin

I did NOT know that about opks and hpts but then I've never even touched an opk.

I'd do another test, just to be on the safe side but hopefully it's 'just' a UTI. I love cranberry juice. With lots of ice. It's not a bad thing to have to drink at all.

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 22:35:50

And false positives, as I'm sure the frankly expert POAS.com advised you, are possible but only ever due to specific circumstances like certain medications and rogue OPKs apparently.

jenniec79 Tue 02-Aug-11 22:42:18

For a 97% success rate, it means that 3% of women using that method for a year, properly (so not inc. ones not put on right etc as above poster mentionned) will get PG.

It's less than 3 in a hundred PIV episodes as it were!

greenzebra Tue 02-Aug-11 23:01:27

my antenatal class teacher told us that condoms become less effective if your hands have been exposed to olive oil. Not sure how true this is. I suppose it degrades the rubber.

jenniec79 Tue 02-Aug-11 23:26:33

It's anything oil-based, greenzebra, so lubes have to be water based like KY, not petroleum based like vaseline.

Anniversaire Wed 03-Aug-11 07:30:11

thankyou Showy and others smile have not got any hpts left now as once they are in the house they are gone, strange isn't it...bit like easter eggs.

They are just not made to sit in a cupboard.
but I have decided my sore boobs are thrush and the weeing was a UTI and I'm about as likely to be pregnant as DP is.

I am so grateful for your help and reassurances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now