Talk

Advanced search

A mixture of BFPs and BFNs - could anybody shed some light on this for me?

(13 Posts)
TrickyBiscuits Sun 31-Jul-11 17:38:49

Hello all, I'm very confused at the moment and was wondering if anybody could help?

I tend to have cycles anywhere between 28- 35 days so am obviously not very regular. On Tuesday and Wednesday last week (cd29/30) I had a very small amount of spotting, which I assumed was my period starting but it didn't materialise. I've been feeling a little under the weather recently so on Friday afternoon I took a pregnacy test more to 'rule it out' than anything and was quite surprised to see a very very faint, but pink, line appear. I took another test (different brand) about an hour later and got a BFN.

My DH went out first thing on Saturday morning and bought two different tests which were marked with a sensitivity of 25. Both came up, again, with a very faint pink line. We then bought two clear blue tests, (the only brand I recognise as we live abroad) the sensitivity was not displayed on these but an internet search seemed to suggest they were 100. (clear blue compact anyone?)

I took one of the CB yesterday afternoon, and another early this morning and they were both BFN, so I'm really quite confused now, and wondering if perhaps this could be a chemical pregancy? I appreciate that it may have something to do with the sensitivty of the tests but as I'm now on cd35, surely my hormone levels should be high enough to show a BFP regardless?

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone could offer any advice/experiences I'd be very grateful. Although we didn't intend to TTC yet, this has made us realise that a baby now would be quite wonderful, so this past couple of days has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

eurochick Sun 31-Jul-11 17:45:55

It's extremely rare to get a false positive but fairly common to get a false negative. It's possible you had a chem preg but it sounds more likely that you are pregnant.

Biscuitsandtea Sun 31-Jul-11 17:49:46

Hi Tricky,

I would say this, the first tests you did were quite close together. They recommend that you test with the first urine of the morning (fmu) as this has the highest concentration of HCG. so if you tested once and then tested just an hour later you wouldn't have much HCG 'stored up' (apologies, not a very scientific explanation, I am sure someone on here could explain it better blush).

Now as for Saturday's tests, two faint positives sounds v promising. If the Clearblues are a lot less sensitive it could just be that again there is HCG there but not enough to convince a not very sensitive test. And again, did you test quite close together?

I would say that your HCG increases each day if you are pregnant. I would test with fmu tomorrow (or if you can stand the wait) Tuesday with a sensitive test. Do you have a brand called First Response where you live? I think they are pretty reliable?

Given some of your previous cycle lengths if you had ovulated quite late this month it could be that you are still just in the very early stages still so may not be a chemical pg or similar?

Fingers crossed you get a happy outcome smile. Keep us posted x

buggerlugs82 Sun 31-Jul-11 18:07:46

Ooooh marking my spot. Do another tommorrow or tuesday x

TrickyBiscuits Sun 31-Jul-11 18:14:42

Thank you both for replying!

Biscuits yes, you're right, I am trying to hang on to the thinking that perhaps I ovulated late and am therefore just not producing enough HCG yet, but now I've realised how happy I would be to be pregnant, I feel as if it's now bound not to work! (totally stupid I know blush)

The tests that I did yesterday morning were from first and second morning urine, so close together yes, I wasn't so worried about the first CB being negative as it was a fair bit later in the day, and like you say it could've been much more dilute. It's more with the one this morning not being BFP that really concerns me as it was FMU two days after a faint positive.confused

Unfortunately we can't get the First Response here, I've had DH look everywhere for them. I might well test again tomorrow, but I just know I'll be so dissapointed if it's another BFN sad

TrickyBiscuits Sun 31-Jul-11 18:16:28

X posted- thanks buggerlugs, love the name btw! smile

Biscuitsandtea Sun 31-Jul-11 18:18:58

Ah yes I see what you mean Tricky about the CB one this morning. I am sure though that CB might not be that sensitive. It is an absolute rollercoaster!

I would try and find a nice sensitive one. You can always get FR from Amazon (although not perhaps that much use for tomorrow!)

Good luck - I'll be keeping fingers crossed for you that you get the result you want.smile

havealittlefaithbaby Sun 31-Jul-11 20:10:47

I'm sure it's generally thought the cb are accurate later on but aren't actually very sensitive. I agree with the above, get an 'early' test that is super sensitive and is fmu. I definitely agree the second test used less concentrated wee hence the bfn. Sounds pretty positive!

Quodlibet Sun 31-Jul-11 20:42:30

The CB, if it's 100, would need 4 x as much HCG in your blood to register a positive, not surprising they weren't registering if you were just getting a faint line on a 25. So I reckon you're pregnant.

Personally I can't see why the 'brand' tests would be more reliable than the cheapy tests - essentially it's the same strip and same paper in a fancier bit of plastic!

TrickyBiscuits Mon 01-Aug-11 20:10:55

Thanks everyone, well I caved this morning and tested again with one of the sensitive tests that had previously shown a faint line. Unfortunately it was a BFN but I wasn't overly suprised as I'd started to get really bad period-type pains last night, and AF arrived with vengeance this evening.

We're pretty dissapointed obviously, but accept it's just a natural thing. Besides, I have friends who are struggling with TTC, so I know it's nothing in comparison to what other people have to deal with.

If anything, it's certainly made us reconsider our original 'perhaps try sometime in the next couple of years' approach, so I may be in this section sooner than I would have thought. smile

Thanks again everyone, and here's hoping to lots of nice BFPs all round! x

Biscuitsandtea Mon 01-Aug-11 20:25:47

Ah Tricky sorry to hear that. At least it has made you reconsider things? Maybe see you back here soon smile

TrickyBiscuits Mon 01-Aug-11 22:00:14

Thanks Biscuits Yes, perhaps I'll pop up again in the not too distant future smile

Ilovekittyelise Tue 02-Aug-11 10:50:32

Hi Tricky

Sounds like you had a chemical pregnancy - I had the same last November - a few faint positives at a point by which I would expect a strong positive, then a very heavy 'period' a few days late. If it's any consolation i conceived again the next month and am now uncomfortably heavily pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now