Talk

Advanced search

Fertility testing?

(4 Posts)
amandine07 Sun 31-Jul-11 11:27:30

Hi everyone, I know this has probably been discussed a lot before but I can't seem to find the relevant threads.

Anyhow, I'm looking for information re. 'fertility tests' that can be carried out at your GP surgery. I realise that this is not an exact science but I know that measuring FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) levels can give some indication.

I'm rapidly approaching the age of 33 and while me & DP have no immediate plans to start a family it's something that has started to become a concern for me over the last year or so, can't explain why- biological clock ticking anyone?!

I've never had a baby before or been PG, been on the pill for over 12 years, not had any gynae problems in the past (that I know of)...I just can't shake off the worry that I'm going to be leaving things a bit late or encounter problems.
Also, a close friend of mine has been TTC since her wedding almost 2 years ago, we're the same age...so I am very aware that, in general, becoming PG does not take 5 mins.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :-)

eurochick Sun 31-Jul-11 11:31:35

I think you would be lucky to get your GP to run fertility tests when there are not any known problems. You might need to get them done privately.

If you are worried about waiting, the best thing to do is to crack on with it if you are in a stable relationship. I know plenty of people your age and older who have got pregnant first month out. Of course I also know others who haven't.

Quodlibet Sun 31-Jul-11 11:31:42

Hi amandine

Don't know about GP tests but if you come off the pill (you'd have to come off the pill for any tests I reckon) then charting can reassure you that you're ovulating - Toni Weschler's Taking Care of your Fertility is a good place to start.

HTH.

amandine07 Sun 31-Jul-11 11:49:00

Thanks a lot for the speedy replies! yes I was thinking that testing might be difficult if there is no specific clinical need e.g. just me looking for some reassurance or wanting to know my FSH levels.

It's one of those things, you just never know whether it'll be quick to become PG or you'll still be waiting a few years down the line.
Seeing everything my friend has gone through makes me think that there's never a 'right time' to start TTC. You might be at a point where you earn 'enough', have the ideal home & job position & stable relationship. Then you find it just isn't happening, which I know is heartbreaking.

I will check out that book...yes, I think for me I'm keen to find out if I'm ovulating regularly.

In any case, just trying to stay optimistic & positive about things...I have to add that, during my medical studies, I met a lot of women who had so many problems conceiving & carrying a baby to term.
This probably has added to my anxiety as it made me realise that life does not necessarily work out as planned- I know this is true for everything, but having seen the harsh reality for some women, I am well aware that having children is not always straightforward.

Thanks again for the replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now