Talk

Advanced search

cycles shortening, horrendous skin and epic moodswings - the beginning of the end?

(9 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Sat 30-Jul-11 15:43:04

I'm 33 and my cycles have been shortening over the last year and now they are 23 days from 30. They have been erratic in that one month they last 10 days, the next they last 4. My mood swings have been epic (I feel a little sorry for dh) and my skin is terrible, dry and spotty simultaneously.

Any ideas? Is this the beginning of the menopause?

OracleInaCoracle Sat 30-Jul-11 17:44:03

Anyone?

OracleInaCoracle Mon 01-Aug-11 12:40:00

OracleInaCoracle Mon 01-Aug-11 12:40:00

suzikettles Mon 01-Aug-11 12:43:57

I think it's worth checking with your GP. If it is the beginning of the menopause then it's very early (although I think perimenopause can rumble on for 10 years?) and if it actually kicked in at close to your age then I think they'd be considering hormone replacement for bone health.

My skin is terrible and has been for the last couple of years and I'm 38 (39 on Friday <sob>). Cycles are still about the same though so I'm still hoping for a miracle.

It could just be one of those crappy things our bodies do to us - but get it checked out. I think it's fairly easy to check the hormone levels.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 01-Aug-11 14:56:29

Thank you, just been discharged by rmc clinic but my gp will run basic bloods for me. I have major issues with my bones anyway, low density and joint/skeletal problems, so think I should ask. My fertility is definitely declining (finding it harder to get pg) and things have been squiffy for some time.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 01-Aug-11 14:56:32

Thank you, just been discharged by rmc clinic but my gp will run basic bloods for me. I have major issues with my bones anyway, low density and joint/skeletal problems, so think I should ask. My fertility is definitely declining (finding it harder to get pg) and things have been squiffy for some time.

eurochick Mon 01-Aug-11 15:19:30

My periods seemed to get a bit shorter when I was 34, but my FSH levels are good so I am not sure what that meant!

galwaygal Mon 01-Aug-11 18:52:38

Lissie already replied on another thread, but kinda bumping this up incase anyone else can help.

I was told by GP when I went in my early 30's about my shortening cycle, that this was normal for women in their 30's and had absolutely nothing to do with declining fertility. Not sure if it is true, but I had my 3 successful pregnancies after this time (as well as my stupid 11 not so great pregnancies).

If you want to reassure yourself, go and get the day 3 tests fsh etc, or the AMH test, this will give you an idea about the number of eggies left (though not the quality). But I personally think you are fine, and you still have plenty of years left yet, but then I don't have my magic glass ball with me to confirm this grin Sorry if that is not helpful.

On the more sensible side, has your GP checked your T4 thyroid levels recently? Just trying to randomly think of things that can alter mood and skin quality.

Anyway will post this and hopefully someone else might have a more intelligent reply than I have just given.?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now