Talk

Advanced search

How long to wait to ttc after a miscarriage?

(3 Posts)
BebeBelge Sat 30-Jul-11 15:34:27

Hello!

I just had a miscarriage yesterday and am still bleeding. I knew it was coming as I was diagnosed as a mmc in a scan last week but am still naturally gutted and desperate to try again.

My doc was really vague about the whole timescale for trying again. I have heard some people say wait one cycle, others say wait 3 cycles and others say no need to wait at all! Does anyone know if there is genuine medical advice on this matter and how long it would take to get regular periods back anyway?

I'd appreciate any advice as I really want to be pregnant again but don't want to jeopardise any pregnancy by having it too soon iyswim?!

Thanks for any help!

KlairvoyantKat Sat 30-Jul-11 15:38:18

There is no medical need to wait and the 3 cycles advice is now considered outdated. Waiting for a period is in order to be able to date a pregnancy if you get lucky first time. However, there isn't really a medical reason to wait and if you did conceive before having a period, the new pregnancy would not be any more at risk because of that.
Some people like to take a bit of time out off TTC for emotional reasons, that is entirely up to you though.

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage and wishing you the best of luck for next time

Lilyrose82 Sat 30-Jul-11 15:40:49

I'm so sorry hon. I know how you feel and it's awful.

I did a lot of research into this after I had a MMC and the best answer I can give you is that it's up to you as to when you try again. I ended up waiting as my cycles were all over the place and I didn't feel ready to try again. Lots of people try straight away and full quite quickly. The only medical reason I believe is if you have had a d&c/erpc then you have to give your body time to repaire itself. Don't feel like you have to rush into pregnancy again. Give yourself time to heel both physically and emotionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now