Talk

Advanced search

35 and TTC for the first time

(11 Posts)
mskatemc Sun 24-Jul-11 16:44:42

Wow, just getting to grips with these acronyms and abbreviations...

I was looking on the internet for nutritional advice pre-pregnancy and a Mumsnet thread popped up, it hadn't really occurred to me before that Mumsnet was for those trying to become parents as well as those who already were... seems obvious now really...

I've been taking folic acid for the last couple of months and my husband and I are supposedly 'trying', although I have to admit that after twenty years of militant carefulness, it feels very strange to be going without contraception and we have probably 'tried' less in the last month than ever before. I guess we need to learn to relax a bit and get into the mindset of enjoying it again rather than being overly aware of technical stuff about sperms and eggs!

Anyway I wondered what other supplements people would recommend? The B-Vitamin complexes all seem to include 200mg of Folic Acid so should I avoid taking both? I tried taking fish oil capsules as well (ew) but not sure what else. Aware of being an older mum so really want to give my eggs the best start possible.

Thank you...

Spuddybean Sun 24-Jul-11 17:49:16

I have no idea really but just to say i second your post. I am nearly 35 and my DP and I are trying for the first time too.

I take pregnacare supplements and am trying to eat super healthily but other than that and having functional sex as often as possible i don't really know.

We are giving it one more month and then going to the doctors (been trying 3 months already).

Pipbin Sun 24-Jul-11 18:18:57

Same here.
It does feel odd 'fighting with live ammo' as the husband calls it.

I'm 36 and trying for the first time.

spuddy I believe you have to give it 6 months before you can go to the doctors if you are over 35, 12 months if you are under.

PollyRoxs Sun 24-Jul-11 19:15:28

Ladies I am in a similar situation, 37 and just getting started ttc. This only my first month after coming off the mini pill in June but no sign of af yet. So we are unsure where we are in a real cycle as I have nothing to go against. We are just using this as "practice" before start going for it - so to speak. I know tmiblush

havealittlefaithbaby Sun 24-Jul-11 19:17:44

Hello, welcome! My Dsis suggested I join when we'd be ttc for a while. It's a brilliant support network and get good answers to many, many questions!
Re conception vitamins, don't get too Hung up on very expensive ones. The Boots conception vitamins are pretty good and not too expensive. Try to get DH to take a wellman pill too, for that the important things are zinc and ginseng for the health of his swimmers.
Ah there's nothing like ttc to put you off sex! We try to have 'naked time' where we get are kit off and cuddle but don't assume we'll have sex. We do massages as well. The massage helps us unwind and the skin to skin contact is quite sensual! I'd say

havealittlefaithbaby Sun 24-Jul-11 19:19:20

Hello, welcome! My Dsis suggested I join when we'd be ttc for a while. It's a brilliant support network and get good answers to many, many questions!
Re conception vitamins, don't get too Hung up on very expensive ones. The Boots conception vitamins are pretty good and not too expensive. Try to get DH to take a wellman pill too, for that the important things are zinc and ginseng for the health of his swimmers.
Ah there's nothing like ttc to put you off sex! We try to have 'naked time' where we get are kit off and cuddle but don't assume we'll have sex. We do massages as well. The massage helps us unwind and the skin to skin contact is quite sensual! I'd say to start with don't worry about ovulation tests or charting, just keep track.of your cycle and try to relax! Good luck to all of you starting to ttc! smile

Spuddybean Sun 24-Jul-11 19:30:02

Pip thanks for telling me, i was reading a book and it says if you try for 6 months and no pregnancy, go to the docs and if your over 34 only wait 3 months. It is an American book tho so it's probably different here.

I am also depriving myself of the sauna and steam at the gym sad Peeing on ovulation sticks daily and taking my temperature and recording it.

At least i feel like i'm doing something, even tho its probably all bollox.

eurochick Sun 24-Jul-11 20:56:09

Yep, spuddy, here it's usually a year or 6 months if you are over 35.

I'm another 35er, trying to conceive my first. And it's taking a while....

I'm at the point where I have mostly given up on "pre-pregnant" behaviour and am just doing what I like. Clearly being careful didn't work.

Spuddybean Sun 24-Jul-11 22:41:19

My DP honestly thought we would have unprotected sex once and get pregnant. He's started asking after sex if 'there's a baby in there?'. He seems to think i would feel something happening. I am now starting to worry i may never get pregnant.

Also if he's not in the mood - he's just not in the mood! So if i'm on my fertile day, he may say he's too stressed/tired to have sex and i just want to scream 'get your fucking cock out now and fucking fuck me'.

Sorry a bit ranty there - don't know where that came from! ahem <deep breath>

mskatemc Tue 26-Jul-11 09:18:08

Thanks ladies, glad to know I am not alone with struggling in ttttc! Naked time sounds like a good plan...

eurochick Tue 26-Jul-11 10:48:06

spuddy, mine was a bit like that and after a couple of months I had a bit of a rant, saying I have cut down on coffee and alcohol, am making sure I exercise regularly and have a good diet, am trying to eat low GI to keep my PCOS under control and am popping handfuls of supplements. But doing all this stuff is meaningless if on the couple of days a month that really count he's not in the mood. You only get 12 chances a year, so stop wasting them!

He is now always in the mood when it's time to swi...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now