Talk

Advanced search

1st Month TTC - scared if I get a BFP / sad if I don't

(18 Posts)
Poppy1980 Sat 23-Jul-11 11:36:02

Hi All,

First time posting here but have been lurking for a while. This is our first month TTC - came off the pill a couple of weeks ago and we've been BDing like mad in case we hit that surge from coming off the pill. The problem is that now we've actually done the deed I'm getting really worried - what if I am pregnant? Are we ready? Should we have thought this through some more or waited?

On the other hand if we get a BFN I'm not sure if I'll be relieved or sad. This will probably be the point where I realise what I really want.

Anyway, enough rambling. Nice to meet you all.

Poppy

Patiencedeficit Sat 23-Jul-11 13:22:35

Hi Poppy! Only normal - you'll be delighted when you get your BFP. I promise!! Join the brooking no argument thread and let us know your news smile

LittleDragon Sat 23-Jul-11 19:01:46

Hi Poppy

I'm in the same boat. It's our 1st month TTC as well and have the same worries especially since we don't know if DP still has a job.

Poppy1980 Sat 23-Jul-11 19:50:45

Hi Patience and LittleDragon

I go between wishing it was next week so I can test and thinking how exciting it would be to get the BFP and the future and then the next moment thinking OMG What are we going?!

I think with all the problems at the moment with jobs/money (granted we are both lucky to have full time jobs) but it doesn't seem to be an ideal time to have a baby. Saying that, reading through these boards everyone does say that there is never an ideal time.

I just hit 30 so I think something kicked in and we got married last year so I'm looking for us to start our little family. Actually writing this all done is making me realise that a BFP is what I would like most. Ah, the joys of being a woman and being allowed to be complicated eh? Lol.

LittleDragon Sat 23-Jul-11 20:07:09

I'm CD7 so just getting into SWI every 2 days now. I don't really know cycle length or anything so have started charting to see if I can work things out.

I'm 25 and my DP is 35. We are getting married in a couple of months time. We both want a family with at least 2 DC.

Our opinion is that if we wait till we can afford a baby we will never have one so we've taken the plunge and decided to start TTC.

We go on holiday for 10 days tomorrow so hopefully will be relaxed for SWI as circumstances round here are not very relaxing due to jealous people spreading evil rumours to cause trouble.

Poppy1980 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:17:57

Well I hope you have a fantastic time and bring back a holiday baby!

First month off the pill so I've no idea about cycles/dates etc. Going to test next week either way so will be stocking up on tests.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

z123 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:24:42

good luck poppy and littledragon! I agree, there is never a 'right' time, always one more big holiday to have, one more year of sorting your finances etc etc. My DD is 10 months and we are TTC #2. This is my first full cycle, and still bf so trying not to get my hopes up, but SWI, probably every day so as not to miss a 'good' day from now on and crossing everything....

DD best thing that has ever happened to me (and i can hardly complain abou my life so far either...) Though I was 8 weeks pg on my wedding day, had assumed I'd feel fine as my mum always used to say she'd had no probs with morning sickness. Not so with me, struggled ++ on wedding day, ending up taking some anti-emetics, went to Scotland on honeymoon (nothing exotic due to pregnancy and all other places we fancied needed anti-malarials) and ended up at GP day after wedding with intractable vomiting.... grimness. so could be ok either way littledragon, you don't want to feel as grim as I did on honeymoon!!! most unromantic....!!!

louloubellamozzarella Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:36

I know what you mean with the scared/sad feelings. I'm TTC for #1 - just started two weeks ago... will probably wait another week to test but like you have no idea about cycles and dates - just winging it and hoping for the best smile I feel very inadequete with all these stats and acronyms flying around on here!!

Talking about preg tests, does anyone know how long you should ideally wait to do one (if you don't know when you ovulated?!)?

Poppy1980 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:33:17

As a total newbie on the whole thing I have bought two clear blue digital tests - it says you can take them up to 4 days before your AF. Given that I have not got a clue when AF is even due, I thought I would give myself an extra hand with these tests. On their website it says to test 19 days after you have had sex but not sure when that means - esp if you are doing it every couple of days.

Roll on countless days POAS! (Look at me already using all the abbreviations!)

louloubellamozzarella Sat 23-Jul-11 20:50:21

Aha.. 19 days, that's like nearly three weeks envy <--- my impatient face.

I have a couple of first response ones on the way (too embarassed to buy in supermarket - how bad is that - cannot get past the guilt; you'd think I was 16!) and already have some cheapie ebay strip ones. Will check what the advice on testing is on those and keep SWI (getting the hang of this...).

LittleDragon Sat 23-Jul-11 23:19:36

We can't even tell people we're TTC round here cos some would say we should wait till a better time while others would just cause more problems for us.

The only person that knows me RL that knows we are TTC is my cousin who we are away with next week.

I'm getting totally spoilt atm by my DP. He barely lets me lift a finger round the house and has insisted on doing the packing for the holiday.

Poppy1980 Sun 24-Jul-11 15:44:42

We're not telling people we're TTC either. Don't want extra pressure with people knowing and asking questions. I'm a total worrier so probably won't tell anyone until 12 weeks anyway, just in case.

LittleDragon - enjoy being spoilt. Hopefully you'll have a full nine months of it too!

Loulou - I was a little embarrassed the first time I bought one in Tesco. Tried to hide it underneath the bread. Lol. I'm sure the woman didn't even give it a second thought but I couldn't get it into the bag quick enough. I'm 30!! Lol.

Pipbin Sun 24-Jul-11 18:22:43

I feel just the same.
Tested this morning and got a BFN but I was kind of relieved.

Oh and talking about being embarrassed to buy tests; I bought one in Wilkinsons the other day, along with a stanley knife. It didn't dawn on my why the girl looked at me so funny until I was half way down the street.
I buy them from Amazon now, much cheaper.

z123 Sun 24-Jul-11 18:27:43

I never thought of buying them online!! . If you test too early there's a possibilty of a false negative. If you cycles aren't regular I'd prob hold off until at least a few days past when you'd expect AF to come at the latest... Its so tempting to try and find out early but it won't make much differnece in the long run (says she, sure will have to reign myself in.... was 4 days 'late' after my first period since birth of DD and already looking forward to POAS in a few days... then AF. Boo!!! An I KNEW not to expect a 'normal' cycle for my first one1!!!!)

Pipbin Sun 24-Jul-11 21:41:25

AF is two days late z123

Have just ordered more. £6.75 for two First Response is so much better than the high street.

louloubellamozzarella Mon 25-Jul-11 10:09:06

Pip, haha @stanley knife incident. Good luck with the testing - let us know how you get on.

They are a LOT cheaper online - esp important if you're impatient as hell like me and need to stock up! At the moment, making myself hold back on the testing till start of next week at least and lurking on threads trying to convince myself that it could happen at first attempt.

dreamfeeder Mon 25-Jul-11 21:15:15

Happened first time for me- then early mc, then first time again next tine we tried- DD!

Pipbin Mon 25-Jul-11 21:33:26

Went to the Poundshop and got some cheap dipstick ones. Got a negative.

I'm always frightened that I will bump into someone I know and have to answer questions.

I remember one time standing at the supermarket checkout one day and behind me were two girls I teach. All that was in my basket was a box of oasis, for cystitis, and a tube of canesten cream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now