Talk

Advanced search

Hello I'm new. Drs appointment later, am wondering if there are any tips/things I must ask?

(7 Posts)
Babblehat Wed 20-Jul-11 13:34:06

Hello there!

Me and my partner have been trying to conceive our first child since January, with no luck. I'm 35 and had a termination when I was 24, with this partner.

I have been keeping a record of my cycle via an iphone app and my cycles are roughly 27/28 day long but have been as short as 20 and as long as 31 on 1 occasion.

We have sex around 3 times a week anyway but have been using ovulation sticks and have positives every month on day 11, no matter what my cycle length! To this end we have upped the sex to every day or other day from day 7 to day 13. Recently though (the last 3 months) I have started spotting at around day 17 which has then stopped then I've got my period a week later. I have never bled inbetween periods before.

According to the NHS guidelines people over 35 can go to the doctor after 6 months of trying so that is what I'm doing!

The thing is, I'm wondering what I should be asking? I know that I ovulate and that my partners sperm is ok (well it was 10 years ago!) So I'm wondering what to expect. I really don't want to go down the route of temperatures and charting as it just doesn't feel right for me. Is the doctor likely to suggest this?

Basically I'm a bit nervous and disappointed that we are needing to involve medical gubbins and was hoping for some reassurance.

Thanks for reading!

eurochick Wed 20-Jul-11 13:37:52

How do you know you ovulate? Have you already had some tests?

The first steps are typically Day 3 and 7 days after ov blood tests for you and a semen analysis for your partner. We got sent for these by the GP who then referred us to a gynae (I'm still waiting for that appointment).

Babblehat Wed 20-Jul-11 13:45:43

Thanks for the reply!

I'm guessing I ovulate because the OPKs detect a LH surge, and I've been pregnant before, there are also changes in my body at that time too. I know that the LH surge is no guarantee but the tests are like clockwork!

I though it would be blood tests and things at first. That is handleable then!

Biscuitsandtea Wed 20-Jul-11 13:55:00

Hi Babble

We've done this too (I know what you mean about annoying to have to bring in the medical people)

Re the temping thing I went to my doctor when we had been trying for about 7 months specifically to ask if we had to come back after a year of trying whether they would just send me away to start charting. (Does that make sense - I wanted to makes sure i had done everything easy that they would ask of me) and they said their official advice is to 'let it be' and be as natural as possible (in those early stages).

We went back after a year of trying and were referred for blood tests (day 3 and day 21 tests as Euro said) and DH had a SA test done. After that they referred us to the fertility clinic. Bit of a waiting list to get an appointment there (think probably 8 weeks or so?) and then the fertility clinic did a HSG x-ray on me and another SA for DH.

In short, they have never asked me to chart or do ovulation sticks or anything like that.

In terms of what to ask there are obviously the blood tests and SA you can ask for. At NHS clinics there can be more of a waiting list than you'd think for a SA appointment because you have to be able to either 'produce' or drop off at a specific time so they can look at it before it is too old. That caiught me off guard a bit that we had to wait a while for that. The other thing to bear in mind with any dates for a SA is that you are not allowed to have had sex for at least 2 days before (and no more than 7 days before) so you don't want an appointment right around the time of ovulation. The other thing I had to have done before we could go to the fertility clinic was a chlamydia test. EVERY referral needs that (at least round here) so may be something you can get ticked off. I had to wait quite a long time for an appointment to see the nurse for that too so could be good to get it ticked off.

Good luck anyway xx

Babblehat Wed 20-Jul-11 19:34:31

Hi Biscuits,

That is really helpful, thanks!

The Doc was really nice and had booked me in for blood tests on Monday (nothing was mentioned about days of cycle, I'm assuming that will be addressed on Monday) they also gave me a reference and details for my husband to arrange the sperm test.

It is good to know that about not being able to have sex before the test as we are coming up to ovulation soon.

He said that as we had conceived before, the test would probably come back clean but the procedure is to do those first anyway.

He was a locum (shame!) but we are booked in together Monday eve to see our regular guy to bring him up to speed/ensure consistency of care.

Feels good to be taking some action.

Fingers crossed for all of us eh.

Biscuitsandtea Wed 20-Jul-11 19:52:55

Definitely fingers crossed smile

Hope all the test results come back OK. I feel obliged to point out though that just because you got pg before doesn't mean all the tests will necessarily be the same this time.

I mean they might be and fingers crossed all is well but our first SA showed DH had low sperm motility. Now we got pg 1st time after 2 mths (but had a mc) then again after 3 mths which was DS) and then nothing this time for 19 months now. However, having seen those first results we were at least able to take some action and DH gave up cola type drinks and started taking the male conception vitamin things and things had improved by the second test he had done. (He has never smoked, doesn't drink much alcohol and never drinks tea or coffee or else I would have made him give up those too grin)

Don't mean to try and frighten you but just go into the tests with your eyes open. I think they are a double edged sword because you want nothing to be wrong but on the other hand you want an explanation as to why things aren't working this time around.

Good luck anyway - hope all the tests get done soon and all come back ok. And even more hope that you just get a bfp anyway this month xx

Babblehat Wed 20-Jul-11 20:24:30

Not scaring me at all, it is good to know these things! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences, I really hope you have some luck soon!

To be honest, I would rather the tests came back with something because low sperm count, not ovulating, low progesterone etc that would be the things picked up on, are all things that can be treated fairly straightforwardly. I would rather something came back on those without having to go down the gyne route if possible.

I realise that just because I have been pregnant before doesn't mean that something can't be awry now, but at least I know that I have all the right bits in the right places and they worked at least once..

It is also a relief I don't have to start charting etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now