Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Progesterone levels

(12 Posts)
LittleSweep Mon 18-Jul-11 11:17:14

Hi ladies,

I'm 35 and don't have any children. I had a mmc in April and after 2 ERPCs my cycle restarted in June. I had my progesterone level tested ... it was 2. Consultant put me on Clomid, last test came back at 50.6

Consultant is currently on holiday but his secretary rang me with the 50.6 result - she says this is good. I have read other posts that say it needs to be above 50 to sustain a pregnancy.

As it is only JUST above 50 I'm naturally nervous. AF is curently 5 days late but I'm putting off doing the test as a) I can't bear the disapointment of another BFN ... I'm also terrified that this pregnancy won't stick and I'll lose it again.

Just from your experience ladies, is 50.6 a good thing or is it still slightly too low to relax about ?

joycep Mon 18-Jul-11 11:26:56

Hi - so sorry about your mmc. From what I have been told, I would have thought above 50 is excellent. My levels were 30 and I was told this was normal by my GP. But I went private and was told they should really be above 40...I haven't heard of above 50 before.

eurochick Mon 18-Jul-11 11:31:17

I haven't heard anything about above 50 either. Mine are 30, which is apparently enough to confirm ovulation, but when my acupuncturist looked at the results she said she would like to see them a bit higher as 30 could indicate my eggs were a bit immature. I am still waiting to see a gynae to see what she says. But 50 sounds good to me.

LittleSweep Mon 18-Jul-11 11:52:17

Thanks chicks ... i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that 50 is good - and sustainable - and that I can maintain that level.

I was so shocked when I got the result back that my level was 2 !

joycep Mon 18-Jul-11 11:59:29

Euro - sth else for me to worry about.!..can 30 really indicate immature eggs...don't we ovulate when an egg has matured?

eurochick Mon 18-Jul-11 12:01:44

Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you! That was just what she said. I am waiting to see what my gynae has to say (if my appointment ever comes through).

joycep Mon 18-Jul-11 16:16:23

no don't worry - a bit of hypo tbh! Anyway Littlesweep - i found this and i think your levels are excellent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Progesterone_during_menstrual_cycle.png

eurochick Mon 18-Jul-11 17:44:52

That's an interesting graph, thanks for linking it. It doesn't make my level of 30 on day 20 look too bad really.

freelancescientist Mon 18-Jul-11 18:20:21

the level of 50 refers to early pregnancy - so if they test for hCG with a threatened miscarriage, they may also test for progesterone as well, and for a ongoing pregnancy this should be over 50. 30 is fine to confirm ovulation.
Also have never heard about the immature egg thing. Wonder if there is some confusion - maybe if the test is day '19/20' instead of day '21' it could be a bit lower than ideal, and this is where the 'immature egg' idea has come from.

eurochick Mon 18-Jul-11 18:41:33

I dunno, freelance but she has said she is working to get my levels up, hence the needles and agnus castus.

LittleSweep Tue 19-Jul-11 09:46:58

Thanks for the graph that is really helpful. So AF came last night- literally as I was in the bathroom unwrapping the pg test ... feeling terribly blue today sad

joycep Tue 19-Jul-11 11:08:02

Sorry Littlesweep - how awful and a cruel trick. I have taken tests before and AF has turned up 30mins later. It's horrible. Saw your other thread about Clomid delaying AF. I have heard that is what it does. Although it brought mine on super early...there is just no telling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now