Talk

Advanced search

MMR?

(9 Posts)
Soupqueen Sat 16-Jul-11 00:30:51

I had a TTC chat with my GP a few weeks ago (mainly because I take a medication that is contraindicated during pregnancy so needed to discuss options) and she recommended I get the MMR. I did, neither the GP nor nurse said anything about this affecting TTC but a friend was told not to even think about TTC for at least 3 months as it's a live vaccine and can cause horrible deformities. I'm planning to call my surgery next week, but has anyone heard this?

fraktious Sat 16-Jul-11 01:28:22

Have you been titre tested for immunity? Personally I'd have the vaccination and wait rather than catch one, especially rubella, whilst pregnant.

Depending how old you are you may only have been given the MR, not the MMR.

fraktious Sat 16-Jul-11 01:30:36

Sorry pressed post - assisted by DS.

I was going to say it's good they offered it to you but as you're planning to TTC, especially as you're planning to in fact, they should have presented testing as an option (may have cost you) and informed you of the risks. It's very definitely contraindicated for pregnant women.

eurochick Sat 16-Jul-11 11:31:17

I think it's the rubella that's the problem (which is why some places check to make sure you are still immune from you childhood rubella jab if you are ttc).

Yama Sat 16-Jul-11 11:35:34

I asked about getting the MMR a couple of years ago but GP said not to as we were soon to be ttc. He advised me to wait and then get it alongside my dc.

mrsb33 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:11:55

Hi there, last year I found out during my routine bloods that I wasn't immune to rubella, I'm 33 and did have the vaccine as a child but you can become immune after a while, so had to have the vaccine once I had the baby, unfortunatly I went on the miscarry so had the vaccine in october so yes as the previous poster said I did have to wait 3 months before ttc again as its a live vaccine, 11 months on I'm still trying, so it did me no harm!

MyBalletShoes Sat 16-Jul-11 18:51:48

The NHS website says 'After having the MMR vaccine, you should take care to avoid becoming pregnant for one month.'

The link is here

But I had it in May and was also told by nurse to wait 3 months. Not at all sure why NHS nurse and NHS website (which I'm going to use for reference when I forget what the nurse said!) are saying two different things.

Can anyone shed some light?

mrsb33 Sat 16-Jul-11 20:38:11

The nurse that gave me the vaccine gave me the leaflet that came with the vaccine and it also said 3 months. I really think its not worth the risk.
But first of all you probably need to check your immunity??
On a personal note, I really wanted to try again after having my mmc and didn't want to wait three months, so did lots of research but still decided to wait the three months.

Soupqueen Sun 17-Jul-11 00:38:30

I'll wait 3 months, but am so cross with my surgery. They know I'm TTC and they didn't think it worth mentioning?!? TTC now put back a few months, thanks all for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now