Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Conception and ovulation

(9 Posts)
Rhysica Tue 12-Jul-11 20:31:28

Evening all,

I was hoping that someone here would be able to offer me some advice.

My husband and I started to try to conceive about 4-5 months ago. Since we started my periods have started to become irregular.

I used to be regular as clockwork but it has been getting later each month. We are now 2 weeks later than 5 months ago and 3 days later than last month. We have just done a pregnancy test and it was again negative.

My period comes every month, but its just getting later. Ive looked online and cant find anything. I think I might have to go to the doctor but I want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Any help would be really appreciated as we are really frustrated.

Thanks

Rhysica Tue 12-Jul-11 21:11:23

Anyone with any advice would be so appreciated.

Thanks,

eurochick Tue 12-Jul-11 22:55:34

I can't help but I have seen a few people mention on here that their cycles have gone haywire since they started ttc.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 13-Jul-11 07:12:46

I would go to your GP and report such changes to your cycle.

Blood tests ought to be done to see what your hormone levels are like as such problems are usually due to hormonal imbalances. Blood tests can be done to check for possible problems with the thyroid gland and a condition called polycystic ovaries (both can mess up cycles completely).

It is also possible to have periods without actually ovulating so its better to have a blood test done sooner rather than later. Do not be fobbed off.

MiniH Wed 13-Jul-11 08:06:51

Before ttc were you in the pill or similar? If so, that can mess up your cycle for up to a year so that would explain some of changes. Mine took close to 12 months to settle down but I didnt want to see gp before then as I didn't want any more drugs to regulate it, as that was what messed it up in the first place.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 13-Jul-11 08:33:41

There is no real evidence to suggest that the pill is responsible for failure to ovulate. The pill also leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet. What the pill can do and often does is mask symptoms of any underlying hormonal imbalances.

TheLemur Wed 13-Jul-11 11:19:04

Could it be that you are stressing out and that's pushing ovulation later?

My period was 2 weeks late when I was stressed about my mock A levels (many moons ago)

poutintrout Wed 13-Jul-11 15:26:04

Hi Rhysica

Since TTC my periods have gone from a regular 28/29 day cycle to anything from 28 to 34/35 days. It is so frustrating and in the early days I got my hopes up that we had hit the jackpot only to be gutted when my period came so much later than expected.

I also found that my length of bleeding became much shorter (still very heavy for the first couple of days but suddenly totally stopping sometimes as early as day 3 which was also not usual for me). Because I hadn't been on the contraceptive pill or anything which might have caused this I decided to go to my GP and she decided to investigate what might be causing this. Having had an internal ultrasound they found that I have mildly polycystic ovaries & I was referred to a fertility clinic.

Incidently the gynae there said that it isn't unusual for your periods to change and your cycle to become longer when TTC. He said it's because you are having more frequent sex. Not sure how that works but thought I'd pass that on!

juniorpark Wed 13-Jul-11 19:01:40

I came off the pill in August last year and cycles were all over the place. I started acupuncture weekly in January and within two cycles my cycles were bang on "normal". In March I was able to cut the acupuncture back to twice a month and cycle still good. In June only had one visit as I was away on holiday and this month AF 4 days late. Could be a coincidence. Going to see the Doc tomorrow to see what's next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now