Talk

Advanced search

TTC at 40, lots of pregnancy symptoms, then AF arrives - confused!

(7 Posts)
Rosepip Tue 12-Jul-11 12:53:26

Hello ladies

DH and I are only in our first month ttc baby no.3. I fell pregnant with my DD and DS on the first attempt however that was 11 years and nearly 7 years ago when I was in my late 20s and early 30s. I stupidly thought, regardless of my age (40) and all the stats for older mothers, that it would happen on the first attempt this time round. I know my body and my cycle inside out, am as regular as clockwork although over the years my periods have got lighter, shorter and are painless. I even had a hormone test last year as I wasn't sure if early menopause had started, this came back as normal. My cycle tends to be 29/30days, ovulation starts around day 10, so we got down to business on days 11, 12, 14 and 16. 7 days after, I had quite strong pre-menstural type cramping (I never get cramping mid cycle or before my period). The cramping lasted a day and a bit, followed swiftly by sore tingly boobs, terrible mood swings, dizziness, cold, sore throat, increase is vaginal discharge (which I think has a particular odour when you're pregnant, nothing horrible, sorry if tmi!). I was absolutely convinced I was pregnant, I did a test on Sunday, 4 days before AF due, was negative. I thought perhaps I've tested too early and was going to wait until this weekend. Yesterday afternoon, I started having cramps again, which became very strong by the evening. I had some brown discharge in my pants when I went to the loo and when I wiped. Spent last night on here reading, reading, reading and went to bed still feeling hopeful. Woke up this morning, lots of red blood & mild cramping so assume this is my flippin period which has arrived 3-4 days early (am never early!) sad. This is a whole new experience for me given that we were so lucky with my other 2 pregnancies. I have convinced myself that a pregnancy started and just didn't stick.... I had too many symptoms for it to be anything else. I know it can take a lot longer at my age to fall pregnant but when you do everything by the book, have symtoms, then nothing, it makes you wonder what you've done wrong and how you can do things different on the next attempt. Time isn't on my side hence I'm posting this incase anyone has been in a similar situation at my age or even at any age really. Mother Nature is amazing but does strange things too! Thank you in advance of any advice, tips smile

eurochick Tue 12-Jul-11 14:42:38

I'm on cycle 8 of ttc and have the sort of symptoms you describe on 6 out of the last 7 cycles. I am not sure what is going on but if you find out let me know!

My suspicion is that sperm is meeting egg but for whatever reason the embryo isn't sticking. That can sometimes be for "good reasons", e.g. there was something chromasomally abnormal so it would never have survived.

TBH, if you fell first time with your last two and probably had a chem preg this time, I would think you would be PG v soon. A friend of mine got PG first time with her first and on her first cycle of trying with her second had all the symptoms and a positive test then got her period. She got PG on the second attempt and is now 20+ weeks and doing fine. I don't think it sounds like you need to be doing anything different, just give it a whirl again next month and cross your fingers.

mumtobobster Tue 12-Jul-11 15:33:34

I don't want to get your hopes up but...

This happened to me with my DS. I had alot of bleeding that started off with spotting and over about a week got heavier and heavier. Presumed I'd had a MC and was surprised to see a heartbeat in the EPU.

The lady who scanned me didn't have an explanation but said sometimes there can be a cyst on the sac that then comes away, hence the bleeding.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rosepip Tue 12-Jul-11 18:30:29

Haven't heard of a chemical pregnancy.... must google it! Thanks for the advice, will post any more developments! smile

eurochick Tue 12-Jul-11 19:25:04

Chem preg = v early miscarriage. They are very, very common.

Rosepip Wed 13-Jul-11 09:13:01

Thanks eurochick - well, for cycle #2, I assume I would ovulate 10-14ish days from when the bleeding started?? My period would have been due 14th/15th July, bleeding started on the 11th. I think I'll buy a ov kit to be sure. Thanks for your help smile

eurochick Wed 13-Jul-11 11:13:16

It depends. Ov usually happens 12-16 days BEFORE your next period arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now