Talk

Advanced search

in 2011 ive only had 4 periods, cycle lengths 34, 38, 53 days, ttc should i see the gp?

(24 Posts)
carriedababi Mon 11-Jul-11 23:53:35

just worked out that over this whole year 2011, ive only had 4 periods

cycle length in order

34 days, 38 and 53

do you think i ought to see my gp about this?

im definatley not pg

but im waiting for this period to come and go so we can get on with ttc

im on day 41 now

100% not pg

EldonAve Tue 12-Jul-11 07:20:41

Yes

BartletForAmerica Tue 12-Jul-11 09:05:46

Another yes. Hope they are able to help.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 12-Jul-11 09:16:21

Yes, you should see the GP now and have blood tests done to see what your LH and FSH levels are like, these should be compared to each other. This can be done on day 2.

With cycle lengths like these as well you are likely not to be ovulating regularly if at all.

Such problems more often than not are caused by hormonal imbalances; in this respect a condition called polycystic ovaries is a common culprit. Another possible cause is problems with the thyroid gland; both of these can be detected via blood tests.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost. DO not be fobbed off.

supergreenuk Tue 12-Jul-11 09:19:29

Big fat yes

carriedababi Tue 12-Jul-11 10:26:40

thanks for the advice, im a bit worried in case its menopause or cancer or something.

ive got no reason to think ive got cancer, im upto date with smear tests etc

just get worried about it

i told the dr 2 years ago about this and he just pulled this facehmm as if he didn't believe me

perhaps i better get the courage together to go to the drs then

carriedababi Tue 12-Jul-11 10:28:56

i even had irregluar cycles before having dd,a nd when i had a scan with dd, i asked them to check for cysits, as ive heard of polycystic overaires before, and the woman said they are all clear, allthought that was 5 years ago nearly when i was pg

BartletForAmerica Tue 12-Jul-11 13:07:58

I try to avoid giving medical advice around here, but you are obviously worried so just wanted to say that I can't think of any form of cancer that would give you irregular periods.

If you came to see me, I'd be thinking about your thyroid and PCOS before anything else. I'd also want to look at your weight. Being overweight, even without barndoor PCOS, can cause irregular periods.

This is all stuff that will be bread and butter for a GP so do go and see them. smile

carriedababi Tue 12-Jul-11 13:17:56

thanks very mmuch for your kind reply.

for some strange reason i find going to the drs a bit scarey, which is daft i know

i'm not overweight, well not imo, i'm 10 stone an 5ft 4
so the top of bmi healthy but still healthy imo
what do you think?

i don't drink often or alot, eat reasonably well, get good excerise.

im not stressed

im not on any medication

i really would like to see my gp, buti find it hard

1sttimetryer Tue 12-Jul-11 19:50:38

Im in the same situation as you carrie I had really long and irregular cycles before i went on the pill, the pill seemed to mask the problem, then i came off the pill to ttc and so far only had a few af's, approx 50day cycles, but i dont really have proper af's, just spotting really.
plucked up the courage to ring the surgery today but couldnt get an appointment so got to ring back tomorrow. Im just worried they will fob me off.
I have also seen that pcos can be a reason for it and looking at the other symptoms i seem to have a lot of them.
Will they think im stupid suggesting i have it when im no doctor and ive just read stuff on the internet?

carriedababi Wed 13-Jul-11 16:27:11

hi 1st time, did this thread inspire you to see dr? of so im glad.

i don't think they will think your stupid for saying your concerned it may be pcos at all.

have you made an appointment, yet?
i haven't yet but i know i should

1sttimetryer Wed 13-Jul-11 16:35:54

Hi Carrie, just got back from seeing the doctor and i have to go back in 2 months time if ive still got problems with my periods and im not pregnant. She was really nice which put me at ease.

carriedababi Wed 13-Jul-11 16:47:27

hi 1st timesmile

oh well done for going, did she say what it could be or anything?
didshe put you on any medication?

i was thinkingof giving it a go ttc for 2 months before seeing the dr, i don't want to get put on clomid or anything, don't think i could cope with twins or anything!

i struggle with 1 at timeslol

1sttimetryer Wed 13-Jul-11 17:38:49

She not too concerned at the moment as she thinks that there still could be the pill in my system as it can take 6months to come out. in 2 months she knows there cant be any pill left in me and is then willing to do all the tests to check for anything and everything!
no she hasnt put me on anything, just told me to have lots of sex and try not to stress too much, just relax!

carriedababi Wed 13-Jul-11 17:42:05

oh best of luck 1st timesmile

really hope it happens for you soon

in my case i haven't been on the pill for years as it cause an erosion and put me right off, plus im nor really into putting hormones or chemicals into my body, slight tree hugger hereblush

Cyclebump Wed 13-Jul-11 17:44:27

All the women in my family have erratic cycles like this.

I came off the pill in December 2009, had one period in February 2010 then discovered I was pregnant in August. The GP nearly fell over backwards when I said when my last period was! Turned out I'd conceived in June. DS is now 14 weeks.

By all means make a GP appointment but please don't think it means you won't conceive, as it could all be fine.

buggerlugs82 Wed 13-Jul-11 18:27:51

Only had one period in 2011! now taking progesterone to kick start them!

1sttimetryer Wed 13-Jul-11 18:59:02

Thank you Carrie, think i might be joining you on that, i will definately not be putting anything into my system again!x

boygirlboymum Wed 13-Jul-11 19:47:13

In the past I had long cycles like this, very similar lengths. I would go to the dr just to get some day 3 and day 21 (well ignore that in your case and go a bit later) tests done. I disagree with Attila in that you're probably not ovulating. You could very likely be. I had PCOS and my body seemed to just take a bit longer into the cycle to ovulate. When ttc#1 my body seemed to try to gear up to ovulating, i.e. get cervical mucous etc etc and then it would come to a halt before eventually ovulating. I know I ovulated every cycle because of progestorone tests, charting my temp and becoming pg twice with cycles like these (both live births). So I'd see the dr and just ttc. Good luck smile

1sttimetryer Wed 13-Jul-11 20:30:26

Thats good to know boygirlboymum fingers crossed there is some hope for us who have crazy cycles! smile

carriedababi Fri 15-Jul-11 10:54:38

oh goodie, i've actually come on my period todaysmile

so im on day one and ready to go

buggerlugs82 Fri 15-Jul-11 16:02:44

Not long until you can start your bonkathon

Good luck x

nicky1968 Fri 15-Jul-11 19:20:08

Hi, my cycles can be anything in length from 32 days to 42 days. I used cheapie ovulation sticks off the internet to find out when I was ovulating and now have 2 daughters, DD2 was a 40 day cycle length, the ovulation stick showed that it was a good time to do the deed on day 26 and 9 months later, out she came. Luckily I conceived both times on the first month of trying as otherwise I can see that you could spend a fortune on the things.

carriedababi Fri 15-Jul-11 21:04:13

thanks smile

nicky what day did you start testing from day 10?

ive got 50 tests

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now