Talk

Advanced search

hycosy or laparoscopy before iui (ttc#1)?

(16 Posts)
laughinglemons Sun 10-Jul-11 20:40:27

me 35, DH 47 we have been tt#1 for 18months. now at CRGH. so far bloods, sperm test, pelvic scan all normal. i have regular 27 day cycle and no symptons of endo / pcos.

we have 3 options - for my next cycle. which would you do?
1. IUI
2. hycosy
3. laparoscopy

LisaJayneS Sun 10-Jul-11 20:47:23

Hi Laughinglemons. I'm afraid I can't help with your question but wondered what the second 2 options are?

We have been ttc no2 for 18 mths and have our second appt at the fertility unit on Friday. Like you we have 'normal' blood test results, normal ish sperm, HSG came back ok, no signs of endo or pcos.

Thanks, Lisa xx

LisaJayneS Sun 10-Jul-11 20:48:13

Also, what is CRGH? Thanks, Lisa xx

laughinglemons Sun 10-Jul-11 21:00:50

Hi Lisa, CRGH is a fertility clinic associated with UCH but not in UCH, its private but has NHS referals.
options 2 and 3 both check whether or not fallopian tubes are blocked.
hycosy is less invasive as its done with an ultra sound but a laparoscopy is key hole surgery and you have to have a general anaesthetic

LisaJayneS Mon 11-Jul-11 07:34:52

Is Hycosy the same as a HSG x-ray? Or is that the pelvic scan you've already had? Still can't offer any advice though sorry sad What is your gut feel? Are you paying for IUI or on NHS? I'm not sure I could avoid the temptation to possibly get pg! xx

SlightlyBabyCrazed Mon 11-Jul-11 20:15:03

Hi, my advice would be to have the hycosy - it does have a certain percentage of successes from the procedure on its own. The dye being injected can have a cleansing effect. Be aware that it is quite painful - far worse than the period pains they claimed it would be! At least they will be able to see even better if there are any obvious issues.

I had one ages ago, am now waiting to get my LH surge so I can go for my first IUI treatment. Never bothered with the laparascopy as have an irrational fear of general anaesthetic - gynae/fertility consultant concluded that it wasn't really necessary as nothing pointed towards that kind of problem.

Everyone is different and obviously the consultants advice is best to follow. I hope this helps in some way x

LisaJayneS Mon 11-Jul-11 20:41:41

Hi, I had the Hycosy too, but didn't find it that painful. I know everyone is different so you might be lucky! It was like period pains for me but further down iyswim. But then I don't get terrible period pains so maybe that is a factor?

Good luck whatever you choose and slightlybabycrazed good luck with your IUI xxx

CaveMum Mon 11-Jul-11 20:53:36

I had an HSG a few moaths ago which appeared to show a blocked tube. By a funny coincidence I had a laparoscopy this morning - still a bit woozy from the GA!

My laparoscopy showed that my tube is not blocked - they now think the HSG caused my tube to go into spasm and close off hmm

I have PCOS so my next step is Clomid.

It is probably worth having an HSG to rule out any tubal issues: if you do have a tubal problem they might be able to fix it and allow you to conceive without further intervention.

laughinglemons Tue 12-Jul-11 20:48:03

Thank you slightly.
A hycosy is not the same as a HSG as far as I know.
Pls tell me if there are the same.
Fingers crossed for all of us

LisaJayneS Tue 12-Jul-11 20:52:20

What is a Hycosy then? I had HSG x-ray which involved them inserting a dye into me and then x-raying to see what was going on? xx

LisaJayneS Tue 12-Jul-11 20:57:14

Hycosy: http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/hospitaltreatment/find-a-treatment/infertility-treatment/infertility-treatment-ivf-guide/infertility-investigations/hycosy/

HSG (and a bit about laperoscopy at the bottom)
http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/hospitaltreatment/find-a-treatment/infertility-treatment/infertility-treatment-ivf-guide/infertility-investigations/hsg/

LisaJayneS Tue 12-Jul-11 21:02:17

With proper links:

Hycosy: www.privatehealth.co.uk/hospitaltreatment/find-a-treatment/infertility-treatment/infertility-treatment-ivf-guide/infertility-investigations/Hycosy

HSG (and a bit about laperoscopy at the bottom)
www.privatehealth.co.uk/hospitaltreatment/find-a-treatment/infertility-treatment/infertility-treatment-ivf-guide/infertility-investigations/HSG

helenlouisey Tue 12-Jul-11 21:06:09

Sounds like HSG and hycosy are the same thing, basically checking the patency of your tubes and also looking for things like fibroids and scarring within the uterus. Do you know if they will perform a hysteroscopy at the same time as a laparoscopy? I had both done at the same time and showed despite having no symptoms at all I had endometriosis, which was treated during the same operation, and I fell pregnant 5 weeks later.

I would check that if they find any problems that they will fix them at the same time, rather than you needing another operation. If this is the case and they will also do a hysteroscopy at the same time I would go with that option. If not have the hycosy first then the lap, it's really best to have a good and full picture before going ahead with treatments such as IUI and IVF, you may find a problem you can fix that will enable you to conceive naturally.

Best of luck

LisaJayneS Tue 12-Jul-11 21:11:27

I'm not sure how much the HSG looked for things like scarring in the uterus etc. Because it was an x-ray they just look at where the dye goes I think - ie does it get easily round everything and into my tubes. And apparently the dye itself can improve fertility for 3 mths or so

helenlouisey Tue 12-Jul-11 21:48:17

The HSG definitely can see scarring in the uterus, it's one of the main tests performed in order to diagnose Ashermans Syndrome, which is scarring of the uterus. It can also be used to see fibroids (as can a transvaginal scan I believe) an HSG can also show any uterine abnormalities such as a septate uterus.

LisaJayneS Tue 12-Jul-11 21:58:34

Ah I see - I didn't know all that. They didn't explain it in that much detail to me I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now