Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

2 x +ve tests 3 weeks ago, now all -ve, doc will only do blood test.

(6 Posts)
CharlottesClan Fri 08-Jul-11 12:11:35

me and my partner found out i was pregnant 3 weeks ago (this is my 9th pregnancy i have three children) we had one super faint +ve and one much clearer. i was having strong pregnancy symptoms, and we'd just come to the decision that we would keep the baby (we've not been long together).
the following week all my symptoms disapeared, and subsequent tests have been negative. i suspected chemical pregnancy and thought nothing of it. im now hitting week 8 with no period, no pregnancy symptoms and no +tve test.

just been to the docs and he wont send me for a scan only a blood test, if my HCG levels are normal 'its just a late period' however i have had pregnancies i have lost before infact quite alot of mc, one which took over 2 weeks to leave naturally they were considering D&C but i started bleeding just in time.

should i be kicking up more of a stink? im not content to just think this is a late period because according to him tests can be wrong ?! which i was under the impression that you cant get false postives?

i think this is a mmc, and when the HCG comes back -ve (which if the baby died three weeks ago is highly likely) how long are they going to make me wait before i can get a scan to see whats going on?

ideas ladies?

JenniL1977 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:14:08

Ring your EPU at the hospital.
Your doctor's being really insensitive and unfair to you.
So sorry for your loss sad

CharlottesClan Fri 08-Jul-11 13:04:41

doesnt seem like my local hospital has one.. do you think i was pregnant then? because doc is adamant i wasnt?

MeconiumHappens Fri 08-Jul-11 13:27:55

But if it was a chemical at an early stage there would be nothing to see on scan and no purpose in doing one.

JenniL1977 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:28:19

Hi Charlotte,

I'm no expert love, I'm only on my first pregnancy. But it seems to be pretty much the consensus that's it's virtually impossible to get a false positive, as you only produce HCG when you're pregnant, and this is what the pg test picks up on; as long as you did the test correctly (read it within 10 minutes, its not an evaporation line, etc etc). The fact you did two tests which were positive would say to me you were.
Is your doctor a bit of a dinosaur? As GPs don't have the answers for everything, and many are very ill-informed on reproductive medicine. Can you talk to a different doctor (a lady one, maybe?)
There will be an EPU at one hospital in your NHS Trust somewhere, even if it's not in your town.
Good luck my love, I'm not sure if I've been any help there to you at all!?!

JenniL1977 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:28:52

Meconium is also correct.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: