Talk

Advanced search

TTC over 6 months? Tell me about your gums...

(5 Posts)
NinjaChipmunk Wed 06-Jul-11 11:58:16

Something came up on a thread I am on with regards to how gum disease affects infertility and I thought seeing as we have our very own set off ttcers here, we could do a quick poll. If you've been ttc over 6 months, do your gums bleed when you brush your teeth and if so is it every day? Has your dentist mentioned it to you?

joycep Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:46

been trying for over a year but my gums don't bleed. They use to but I was told several years ago if i wanted to stop gum disease I needed to floss which i do every day now. So i know this isn't the cause of the elusive bean!

NinjaChipmunk Wed 06-Jul-11 13:21:28

my dentist has just put me on a course of corsadyl mouthwash, daily interdental brushes/ flossing and eating more vitamin c because the were bleeding a lot when she cleaned them yesterday. I never realised there was supposed to be a link.

NervousNelly Wed 06-Jul-11 13:30:28

Yes I've been TTC for 10 months, yes my gums sometimes bleed, yes my dentist has mentioned it to me. I have teeth that are quite close together and flossing is very hard <lazy> and I really should do better. But when I read the article it seemed to hint more at severe gum disease, which I don't think I have. TBH I don't think it's why I haven't conceived yet, but it will do me no harm to improve my gum health. Whether it contributes to that elusive BFP - well I'll reserve judgement hmm.

puzzletree Thu 07-Jul-11 16:10:23

Hi, I was just lurking on this board and noticed this thread. I have (had) pretty severe gum disease to the point where my teeth are seriously at risk and I will be a denture wearer at some point. Interestingly I managed to conceive very easily and had two healthy full-term pregnancies with the gum disease and it is only now after major treatment to get it under control that I have had a miscarriage, though admittedly still conceived quite easily. I'd only heard of the links with pre-term birth and heart disease before. I suspect there's only a weak link with conception, but it's definitely worth looking after your gums regardless, I wish I'd sorted mine out earlier sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now