Talk

Advanced search

Any runners out there TTC and failing?

(2 Posts)
dontcarehow Tue 05-Jul-11 13:05:00

I'm getting REALLY stressed out about this now, and clutching at straws. I haven't had a period since coming off the pill last August. Was diagnosed hyperthyroid in december, was on medication and have now been off medication for a couple of months with normal blood test results. but still no period.

Endocrinologist suggested it might be to do with my weight. my BMI is 20.5 (towards the low end of healthy apparently). But its still normal, and I certainly don't look too skinny.

So I read somewhere that it could be to do with excessive exercise. Now I do get a lot of exercise, I cycle or run at least 5 days a week. But I wouldn't have thought it was excessive.

Does anyone know if running, or exercise in general has any impacts on periods? Has anyone had their periods stopped by excessively exercising? Because I'd be interested to know what would count as excessive enough to do that, I doubt that I'm doing that much.

eurochick Tue 05-Jul-11 18:33:39

How much are you running & cycling? A few miles 5 times a week is unlikely to have any effect, a couple of marathons would (I'm exaggerating but you get the point).

My BMI is 21.something and if I lose a pound or two my periods get noticeably lighter. They came close to stopping completely when I got a bit "silly" about food and more or less stopped eating for a brief period when I was a teenager. So diet and exercise has a pretty direct effect for me. But I spent most of my 20s with a BMI of around 19-20 doing a fair amount of exercise and still had periods every month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now