Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No period but BFN, at what point should I see the GP?

(14 Posts)
lalabaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 19:52:11

Hi,
I am on cycle day 52 of what is usually a 32 day cycle, but no BFP. I am a bit worried because about 2 years ago I went for 7 months with no period but put it down to hormone changes after pill and the Doctors weren't worried so I didn't worry. I had implant removed in Dec and started TTC January, since having the implant removed I have had a regular 32 day cycle until now. At what point would people go to their GP? I have heard so many stories about GPs not being supportive and some people have told me they won't do anything until you miss 2 or even 3 periods so has anybody experienced this before?

EldonAve Wed 29-Jun-11 20:19:12

why wait?

PatientGriselda Wed 29-Jun-11 20:20:42

I have just finally got my period after a 63 day cycle, and from day 40 onwards was wondering (obsessively) the same thing. Like you I heard that lots of doctors won't give you a pregnancy blood test until three months have gone, so I just decided to wait till then. And then of course my period showed up.

It's so frustrating, I know. On the one hand you dont want you period, because you want to be pregnant. On the other hand, if youve got a history of irregular periods you know that not getting it is depressingly likely to mean your cycle/ovulation is deeply fucked up again.

lalabaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 21:52:16

I'm not sure Eldon, just worried they won't take me seriously if it hasn't been "long enough" Patient I know, to be honest I just want my period now so I know I have a normal(ish) cycle. Did you get your usual period symptoms before it arrived?

PatientGriselda Wed 29-Jun-11 23:11:48

No, that's the even more annoying thing - it just came out of the blue. Previously I'd been getting tender breasts for a few days beforehand. Which makes me think I've stopped ovulating again and am just doing random occasional bleeding instead sad

lalabaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 23:30:28

Oh no sad I really hope you are still ovulating! I might ring Doctors tomorrow or Friday to ask what they think, my gp has a phone surgery thing x

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 30-Jun-11 07:19:38

lalabaloo

I would go to the GPs now and if they are unhelpful or clueless (and they can be in these situations) I would change GP practice. You have also been ttc since January and have had months without a period before now.

I originally went six months without a period when ttc and at that point I was referred to a subfertility unit.

The pill leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet; it does not hang around.

If you have had irregular cycles before, chances are the underlying cause of this problem has reared its head again. Usual causes for such problems are hormonal imbalances; polycystic ovarian syndrome and problems with the thyroid gland should be looked for and blood tests should now be done to check for both of these.

knitterati Thu 30-Jun-11 07:55:27

Very wise advice Attila

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS after one 52 day cycle. The Dr., knowing I am ttc, was very proactive and with some private help for a scan got me diagnosed and referred within a month. It's good to have a supportive Dr and at least now I know I'm not going mad and can try to take actions to help (better diet, reflexology etc) whilst I wait to see the gynae.

Good luck!

PatientGriselda Thu 30-Jun-11 10:35:27

Thanks lalabuloo. My doctor is good and sympathetic and has me on metformin anyway to try and sort out my periods and ovulation, but ha also referred me for ovarian drilling, so even if the metformin isn't helping (which it looks like it isn't any more), hopefully the drilling will have some effect. And Attila is always right and wise about these things, so, bearing in mind your history and the fact you're ttc, I would definitely go for a chat with the gp about the bigger picture.

lalabaloo Thu 30-Jun-11 17:57:42

Thanks for all your help ladies, I will make an appointment tomorrow. I'm expecting them to turn me away though because I'm only 21 and I don't think they will take me seriously sad I think I was expecting it to be easy to conceive being young, naive I know but that's life i suppose. My breasts are really sore today too, I don't know what that means! x

lalabaloo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:00:00

Sorry patient what is ovarian drilling? I haven't heard of it before x

PatientGriselda Thu 30-Jun-11 19:12:57

My ovaries are covered in lots of cysts, which are too thick and numerous to pop and send an egg floating off to spermy heaven. Basically they will stick a surgical needle into each ovary a few times to relieve this. I think. I must read that info leaflet...

lalabaloo Thu 30-Jun-11 21:55:32

Oh I see, fingers crossed it works well for you then x

lalabaloo Sat 02-Jul-11 20:38:32

I think my period has started now, thanks for all your advice ladies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now