Talk

Advanced search

35 yrs old, TTC for 6 months. What's the av waiting time 2nd time round?

(13 Posts)
kenobi Wed 29-Jun-11 09:19:47

Hi all,

Just got the dreaded negative test this am, and having been quite relaxed, am feeling a bit down. May I have some stories of the average length of time it takes to concieve at 35 so I can re-adjust my expectations?

Also... how long should I leave it before me and DH get checked out?

Ladybee Wed 29-Jun-11 09:28:09

Hi, I think advice is for over 35 years to go after 6 months trying without success, so you could go to your GP now and see what they say.
Fertilityfriend.com has some info about their users (those who chart!) and the average time to conceive for 35 year olds looks like 8-9 months. This is based on what the users report and is only based on people using the website not a real true average sample of all women - but it gives you one idea, I hope.

kenobi Wed 29-Jun-11 09:32:49

Thanks Ladybee, ooh very helpful.

Am very new to this conception thread lark, I understand about 10% of the ancronyms, and as a Chat regular I thought I was pretty well up on it all. Whole new world!

Pixiepops Wed 29-Jun-11 13:10:29

Hi kenobi,

I'd second popping to see the GP. DP & I've been ttc our first for 8 months now with no luck, but I feel much better having been. My GP referred me straight away for blood tests (cycles are pretty regular at between 25-30 days) & made a referral for me to have my tubes checked out. DP's also been referred to get his sperm looked at.

Apparantly if we were to be found to have problems, there's a 2 year wait for IVF & NHS funding is restricted to people aged 38 & under, so it's as well for us to get into the system just in case, even though she thought all seemed ok on the surface...

Fingers crossed all round!

NinjaChipmunk Wed 29-Jun-11 15:18:15

Hi, I'm 36 and although #1 was conceived straight away, #2 is proving more elusive, 14 months and counting so far....
there been a few threads on this recently and it really does seem to vary quite wildly. There's no harm in getting yourself checked out with the gp though.

kenobi Wed 29-Jun-11 21:52:41

thanks so much, I'll book an appt.

ninja - my first was conceived immediately as well...

kenobi Wed 29-Jun-11 21:53:17

And yes, fingers crossed all round!

NinjaChipmunk Wed 29-Jun-11 22:12:55

for what its worth my blood tests and dp's sample all came back fine. I have my first hosp appt in a fortnight, will be very interested to hear what they say.
good luck!

katherine2008 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:00:25

Not sure if this is much help, but I was 37 when I started to trying to conceive dc1 and we were quite casual about trying - having sex when we felt like it. I took nearly a year to fall pregnant. Trying for dc2 from age 39 (nearly 40) took six months to fall, but again, we were a little bit slapdash about when we had sex. Unfortunately my second pregnancy ended in miscarriage in December last year, so we decided to try to get pregnant again asap (as I am now 40). This time I charted, used ovulation predictor sticks and I fell pregnant on my second cycle. I am now 21 weeks pg and fx everything is going ok - I'll be 41 (gulp) when dc2 is born.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I think we expect conception to be quite easy, when in reality there are so many factors to take into account. If you haven't tried the OPKs then it might be worthwhile doing so, although do bear in mind that sometimes sex can become a bit of a chore when you have to do it every night for a week!

Good luck x

kenobi Mon 04-Jul-11 13:12:53

It was a false negative.

I'd fully accepted the neg but took one more test while I was getting ready to go to a wedding on Sat night where I was planning on getting blootered (a consolation prize for not being pregnant) as I wanted to be 100% sure.
I was so convinced I wasn't preggers I forgot about the test and wandered off to put my shoes on. DH picked it up and said, 'I thought you weren't pregnant?' I literally fell off my shoes.
We spent the entire wedding grinning like loons while I chucked my champagne in the bushes.

I'm bloody pregnant grin. Now I just have to keep it there...

Katherine - good luck to you too!

NinjaChipmunk Mon 04-Jul-11 13:28:48

excellent, congratulations kenobi what lovely news (not at all jealous grin)

kenobi Mon 04-Jul-11 13:34:38

Thanks Ninja - I did think twice before posting here as I didn't want to sound like I was crowing, but I'm bursting with the news and just HAD to let it out.

All luck to you with the hosp appt and the next cycle!

NinjaChipmunk Mon 04-Jul-11 13:43:54

thanks, i'll know the results of this cycle mid week. I'm not one for early testing so I just ait, if nothing by thursday morning then its off to boots I go!
Congrats again, you sound so excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now