Talk

Advanced search

Hormone blood results. Anyone help RE: LH/Fsh

(13 Posts)
shellmc Mon 27-Jun-11 20:01:59

Hello,
Had some bloods taen on friday for various things, mainly hormone tests.
Rang doctors today for results and iv to go in on thursday to see GP as some are raised including LH levels.
Was wondering if anyone knew what this meant??
Is it anything to worry about?
I am on thyroxine for underactive thyroid too, if this has anything to do with it. x

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 27-Jun-11 20:23:04

They look at lh/fsh as a pair so if they are not similar (ratio should be 1:1) it can indicate a problem, its one thing that indicates pcos but they'd look at lots of other symptoms too and may well recheck. I'd try not to worry. I assume the receptionist gave the vague 'one level is high'? They aren't really wise to do that its just scary. Get yourself along to the GP, see what they say then pop back here we'll help you make more sense of it!

Cloclo15 Mon 27-Jun-11 21:34:37

I know this feeling - I got told my day 21 tests results were abnormal over the phone by doctors receptionist. They were, but that really wasn't the way to break the news!

Try not to worry until you see GP - easier said than done I know!

shellmc Tue 28-Jun-11 20:21:16

Thankyou both for your replys.
Il try not to worry altho i am inside. Only 2 days to go till i see the doctor again!!

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 28-Jun-11 22:00:16

I'm like that about my first gynae appointment on Friday!

shellmc Wed 29-Jun-11 10:38:51

Ohh do you have a gynae appointment havealittlefaithbaby ?
Hope everything goes ok for you.
I rang back to surgery yesterday to ask if they could tell me what my fsh levels were as iv read on the net that they both rise depending on where you are in your cycle, but she said everything was normal with the others just my LH was high.??? I really dont know what to think, and im still getting these horrid pains/cramps sad

eurochick Wed 29-Jun-11 18:54:28

LH being higher than FSH can be an indicator of PCOS. Try not to worry. Many people with PCOS find it doesn't affect conception (and many others conceive with a little help).

havealittlefaithbaby Wed 29-Jun-11 20:57:22

Yes Friday I have endocrinology appt cos my GP suspects pcos. Think this will be the talky appt about fertility history, next step fanny cam!

shellmc Fri 01-Jul-11 20:02:38

Hello, i went back to see gp yesterday, she suspects i have PCOS and i am getting referred to and endocrinologist (?? about spelling).
I have the high LH result the irregular and absent periods and a bit of facial hair blush
I also take thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. Could this be related to PCOS??
I had a scan 2 months ago and no cysts or anything showed up soo GP cant say itdef is PCOS. If not what else could i expect it to be?

havealittlefaithbaby Fri 01-Jul-11 20:38:48

Interesting, gynae doesn't think I do have pcos! I'm waiting for a pelvic ultrasound and Hsg now.
Sorry to hear about your suspected pcos. Bear in mind pcos is a syndrome so you have to have a certain number of a criteria to get the diagnosis. Interestingly you can have polycystic ovaries without pcos and pcos without polcystic ovaries! Did you have a pelvic ultrasound?
I'm not sure about the thyroid stuff. I know it can affect fertility but if its being treated it shouldn't be a major issue. Glad to hear at least you're getting somewhere with the docs.

eurochick Fri 01-Jul-11 22:12:04

There is a fairly strong correlation between PCOS and some thyroid problems. I have PCOS and have been tested for thyroid issues a few times but the results are always normal so I have never researched them.

shellmc Sun 03-Jul-11 20:49:10

Ohh let us know how you get on with your ultrasound havealittlefaithbaby so are you saying that you can still have PCOS without having the cysts on your ovaries?
I had a scan done 2 months ago when i was having pelvic pains, and everything seemed fine then.

Hi eurochick thanks for your comment, thats interesting to know so it could be linked. I suppose i will have to wait for my appointment and see where i go from there. Thankyou

havealittlefaithbaby Sun 03-Jul-11 22:10:15

Yes apparently its either way round. Not sure exactly how it works. I'll let you know when I get the date through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now