Talk

Advanced search

to ask for tips when ttc?

(42 Posts)
charliejosh Mon 27-Jun-11 12:25:59

Apart from doing th edeed regularly, are there any other tips or old wives tales when ttc?

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jun-11 12:28:34

Try conception.

thelittlefriend Mon 27-Jun-11 12:37:55

I'm presuming lissielou isn't just stating the obvious but means the conception topic where there are lots of useful threads ;)

TechLovingDad Mon 27-Jun-11 12:39:04

You only need one tip, his! grin

redexpat Mon 27-Jun-11 12:39:09

Do they still have the kits in boots that tell you when you're ovulating?

I have heard that lying with your feet up helps the sperm get to where it needs to be. Have no idea how true it is though!

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jun-11 12:42:50

The littlefriend, haha yes, I did

redexpat Mon 27-Jun-11 12:43:47

I've also just noticed that there's an ovulation calculator under useful tools to the right of the thread.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 27-Jun-11 12:49:35

Gentlemen first...if you catch my drift. smile

charliejosh Mon 27-Jun-11 12:55:31

Thanks ladies

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jun-11 13:01:19

I hope you don't mind but I've asked mnhq to move this into conception where you have a better chance of proper answers

QueenCee Mon 27-Jun-11 13:01:56

I'd say don't try too hard. IME ovulation kits and calenders had the opposite effect and caused too much pressure and stress to perform.
I've been PG 3 times. The first time we conceived very quickly and was as a result of stopping contraception and seeing what happened. All very relaxed.
Unfortuantly I miscarried. This caused me to be super stressed and desperate to conceive.
The stress meant we waited 11 long months to conceive DD.
She's now 7 months and because it took so long to get PG with her, we didn't bother using contraceptives and I was breast feeding so thought I couldn't get PG. So again all very relaxed and whoops... I'm PG again!!

charliejosh Mon 27-Jun-11 13:06:43

yeah no problem lissielou

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jun-11 13:10:12

I have to disagree with queencee, stress has no impact on ttc at all. Diet, yes. Health, yes. Stress no. Unless you count lack of libido due to stress.

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 27-Jun-11 13:16:19

Try not to worry if it's taking a while - it took us nearly a year to conceive DD1.
Turned out I had a retroverted hmm ? uterus which may have been one reason it took longer. DS was conceived much more quickly after we decided to go for our second - probably more relaxed as we knew we could do it !
I thought the ovulation indicator was quite helpful really, before using that had tried monitoring my temperature. Possibly lying with your bum on a cushion afterwards may help things go in the right direction wink
Good luck, and keep us posted !

wompoopigeon Mon 27-Jun-11 13:19:01

My personal recommendation is to book mini breaks around the middle of your cycle. Posh countryside pubs with rooms has worked for us. Both times.
At least then if you don't get pregnant you still get a nice holiday or two out of it!

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 27-Jun-11 13:19:18

Oh and another thing, don't forget what he can do too. I got DH to cut down on alcohol- as I did too, and we both took some vitamin supplements. Think some of that could have made a difference for us.

charliejosh Mon 27-Jun-11 13:23:04

wompoopigeon good idea, I have access to lots of free hotel breaks so best start taking dp with me more often!

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 27-Jun-11 13:26:42

Oh and if you're bothered about trying for one sex or the other I've heard that for a girl you should have sex during the few days before you ovulate. For a boy directly after ovulation.
This makes sense to me as girl sperms are hardier but slower, so can hang around waiting for the egg to arrive ( but need the head-start to get there on time)
Whereas the boys race for the target but then quickly expire of exhaustion.

- Sounds like our school reception kids on sports day really ! grin

pommedechocolat Mon 27-Jun-11 13:47:05

I have had two bfp moments and both times I have had sex just before ovulation and have laid on my front after sex (I have a retroverted uterus so lying on my back does nothing).
This time round I also used ovulation kits and took folic acid.

BlooferLady Mon 27-Jun-11 13:54:36

Having been TTCing without success for 18 months (both being hearty and healthy in every respect!), trying every tip going short of putting a wooden spoon under the pillow, I'm afraid I have come to the conclusion that unless there are specific medical issues IT IS TOTALLY RANDOM!!!!!11!!1!!

Sorry for the yelling. It's been a long few months hmm

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 27-Jun-11 13:55:42

Surely the sperm has to get through the cervix first though,pommed, ( which I've heard is quite a challenge in itself ) - whichever direction it goes afterwards.
( I'm retro too, so you mean all that lying with bum raised up afterwards didn't make any difference ?! )

pommedechocolat Mon 27-Jun-11 13:59:20

Well my cervix is low and is right at the front of my fanjo which google had told me was from it being 'tipped' by the uterus? Not sure if thats true but as i can see my cervix right at the front logic tells me lying on my back won't do any good...

pommedechocolat Mon 27-Jun-11 14:00:10

I know for sure from a scan in my twenties by uterus is retroverted to clarify!

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 27-Jun-11 14:06:10

I think they told me mine was after a scan in pregnancy - guess it would have been handy to know earlier !

pommedechocolat Mon 27-Jun-11 14:09:09

I lived in Italy for a while and as I had bad acne went to a gynaecologist there for a scan for ovarian cysts. He was AMAZING and did a kind of full MOT on my bits. They do smear tests every year in Italy and think that in the UK we are very odd to do be doing this.
Italian women are much more au fait with their processes and bits from a fairly young age. I think it's a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now