Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

silly question about ovualtion

(5 Posts)
itwillhappen Wed 22-Jun-11 20:02:25

Hi am a regular mnetter but changed names as I don't want everyone knowing that we are trying again.

I have a very silly question, ok here goes, can you only get pregnant after you've ovulated/ovulating?

pommedechocolat Wed 22-Jun-11 20:36:15

You can get pregnant before and during ovulation. Not afterwards.

eurochick Wed 22-Jun-11 20:49:57

Once you've ovulated the egg will only be fertilisable for somewhere between 12 and 48 hours (or thereabouts). So sex before (cos the swimmers can lurk for a few days), at ov or very shortly after ov can get you pregnant. Once that window has passed, the egg can't be fertilised.

itwillhappen Wed 22-Jun-11 21:02:32

thanks for quick responses, ttc no 2, took years for first and already i'm driving my self mad with the whole am I aren't I.

so when you use ovulation sticks do they show up as positive before you ovulate or when you ovulated?

kat2504 Thu 23-Jun-11 17:05:52

They show positive 12 to 36 hours before ovulation. As soon as you get a positive is the prime time, and the next day just in case. Ideally also in the couple of days before the positive as the sperm can survive a few days. On the second day after the positive it is probably too late.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: