Talk

Advanced search

Vaccinations before TTC??

(7 Posts)
MrsTwinks Thu 16-Jun-11 14:17:08

Long story short ... me and DH are starting to do pre-TTC stuff. I'm worried because I've recently started a new job working with children and due to my mum being a mad doctor hating new age wierdo worrier I not only dont know If I got my jabs at school (I dont remember any) theres a huge possibility she didnt let me have them and I have no way to check as we moved about so much I changed schools, doctors etc and the crux is I have 8 yrs of notes missing somehow, and my mum is so flakey she cant remember if i did or didn't (plus shes on the GC NOW wagon so I dont want to probe to deep iykwim)

Other than rubella, what would I need to be vaccinated against, whats dangerous for pregnant women? Would I be able to get them from the GP or pay private? And would they be williing to give them to me if I just can't remember/prove I have had it? you know the argghh paranoid TTC stuff wink I know folic acid and vitamins and stuff but all this confuses me.

eurochick Thu 16-Jun-11 17:10:23

I think rubella is the key one to make sure you have but you have to wait a while after having it before TTC.

farfallarocks Thu 16-Jun-11 17:58:49

I think its just rubella. Did you have it as a child? Having the disease gives you lifelong immunity as opposed to 10 yrs with the jab so you may be covered?
Also worth having a smear as well whilst you are at it.

The docs will happily give it to you I am sure

I think in early pregnancy it can cause serious probs for the baby, not sure what but think it can affect brain development

good luck!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 16-Jun-11 18:01:28

Re rubella, as part of my general "why am I not pregnant yet" tests, I had a blood test to check if I was immune (I was) so you could get your GP to do that for you? HTH.

MrsTwinks Thu 16-Jun-11 18:05:42

Didnt have it unfortunately. I do remember mum being really pissed off that i didnt get if after a measles party hmm. I know it can cause problems and we've had an outbreak here lately so thats the one I was most worried about, just wondering if there were others so I could ambush ask my gp all at once in a way that wont make me seem like an overworried idiot.

I'll ask about a smear too, only had one 2 years ago and its 5yrs in my PCT will they give me one?

mrsb33 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:05:51

I found out when I was pregnant that I wasn't immune to rubella even though I did have my injections, aparantly some people can lose immunity?? I've now had my vaccination, had to have mmr as they don't just give u the rubella now, I'd defo get yourself checked as its very dangerous to pregnat women. Good luck with your ttc journey

notlittlemissperfect Sat 18-Jun-11 00:01:05

With some vaccinations you are not allowed to get pregnant for a while. I can't remember which ones but it's anything between 1-3 months after the jabs. Best to check with the Dr and that they know this by telling them you plan on getting pregnant. I had a natural immunity to rubella so I didn't need one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now