Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Vaccinations before TTC??

(7 Posts)
MrsTwinks Thu 16-Jun-11 14:17:08

Long story short ... me and DH are starting to do pre-TTC stuff. I'm worried because I've recently started a new job working with children and due to my mum being a mad doctor hating new age wierdo worrier I not only dont know If I got my jabs at school (I dont remember any) theres a huge possibility she didnt let me have them and I have no way to check as we moved about so much I changed schools, doctors etc and the crux is I have 8 yrs of notes missing somehow, and my mum is so flakey she cant remember if i did or didn't (plus shes on the GC NOW wagon so I dont want to probe to deep iykwim)

Other than rubella, what would I need to be vaccinated against, whats dangerous for pregnant women? Would I be able to get them from the GP or pay private? And would they be williing to give them to me if I just can't remember/prove I have had it? you know the argghh paranoid TTC stuff wink I know folic acid and vitamins and stuff but all this confuses me.

eurochick Thu 16-Jun-11 17:10:23

I think rubella is the key one to make sure you have but you have to wait a while after having it before TTC.

farfallarocks Thu 16-Jun-11 17:58:49

I think its just rubella. Did you have it as a child? Having the disease gives you lifelong immunity as opposed to 10 yrs with the jab so you may be covered?
Also worth having a smear as well whilst you are at it.

The docs will happily give it to you I am sure

I think in early pregnancy it can cause serious probs for the baby, not sure what but think it can affect brain development

good luck!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 16-Jun-11 18:01:28

Re rubella, as part of my general "why am I not pregnant yet" tests, I had a blood test to check if I was immune (I was) so you could get your GP to do that for you? HTH.

MrsTwinks Thu 16-Jun-11 18:05:42

Didnt have it unfortunately. I do remember mum being really pissed off that i didnt get if after a measles party hmm. I know it can cause problems and we've had an outbreak here lately so thats the one I was most worried about, just wondering if there were others so I could ambush ask my gp all at once in a way that wont make me seem like an overworried idiot.

I'll ask about a smear too, only had one 2 years ago and its 5yrs in my PCT will they give me one?

mrsb33 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:05:51

I found out when I was pregnant that I wasn't immune to rubella even though I did have my injections, aparantly some people can lose immunity?? I've now had my vaccination, had to have mmr as they don't just give u the rubella now, I'd defo get yourself checked as its very dangerous to pregnat women. Good luck with your ttc journey

notlittlemissperfect Sat 18-Jun-11 00:01:05

With some vaccinations you are not allowed to get pregnant for a while. I can't remember which ones but it's anything between 1-3 months after the jabs. Best to check with the Dr and that they know this by telling them you plan on getting pregnant. I had a natural immunity to rubella so I didn't need one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: