Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else taking a bit longer than expected TTC No2? And fancy a moan?

(49 Posts)
eeyore2 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:33:01

We stopped using contraception in November and have been 'actively trying' - I know it's not such a long time and obviously we're incredibly lucky to have our fabulous DS but I still sometimes feel a bit down about it, especially when so many people with babies DS's age are already pregnant or have No 2 already. Anyone else feel the same way and fancy a little whinge?

NinjaChipmunk Mon 13-Jun-11 14:47:22

yes me! Its been 14 months so far and I was pg with ds after 1 month last time. But so far tests have come back normal, I still wonder why this one is taking so long though.

eeyore2 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:58:34

thanks for joining me! What tests did you have? And are you doing anything special to 'try' better? I'm using a Clearblue Fertility monitor because I have really long, erratic cycles. But not much joy yet...

lucylookout Mon 13-Jun-11 15:08:55

I'm with you! I've been trying for nearly two years, although lost two pregnancies last year. Tests have all come back normal, I think it's just age that's my problem. Yes, I know that feeling of people being pregnant or having babies already, and it's hard. One friend is onto her third pregnancy and I'm finding it pretty tough. Given my age (nearly 40) I'm probably going to give IVF a try this year.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 13-Jun-11 15:24:56

I've had day 3 progesterone and day 21 FSH, LH, prolactin, tch (thyroid) and rubella immunity. I'm lucky enough to have very regular cycles and although I should use the stack of ov sticks I've got I am not good at remembering and generally try to shag from about now (day 6) to about day 20 if I can manage it! (not every night though as would be far too knackered. Must also remember to start taking folic acid again as have been very slack with that recently. We have our first hospital appointment mid july but although all our tests are free if it turns out we need ivf or the like we will haveto pay for it.

how old is your ds? Mine is 3.8. I find it very hard as he would love a brother or sister and most of his friends are now starting to have them and he can't understand why he doesn't have one. Poor sausage.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 13-Jun-11 15:25:31

lucy very sorry to hear about your losses.

eeyore2 Mon 13-Jun-11 15:34:39

Oh Lucy, so sorry to hear about your two miscarriages. Ninja, my ds is only 19 months so I know I am quite early in the process still. But there are 7 years between me and my db due to fertility issues and so I really wanted to start quickly to have a narrow gap, as I always felt that my brother and I were just 'missing' each other in terms of being really close - just as he got old enough to join in with something I would grow out of it or find it boring. Your poor little ds! That must be tough hearing him asking about siblings.

LayAnotherEgg Mon 13-Jun-11 15:49:19

Can I join? smile

I have one DS who is 20 months. I'm 35 and getting anxious ttc #2! We've been trying for about 8 months. I've also invested in a CBFM. I'm only on my second month of using it but keep getting all lows. Upsetting after all of the rave reviews I read about it.

Sorry to you, Lucy, for your losses.

lovesmountains Mon 13-Jun-11 16:26:04

Me too, trying for 2 years and DD will be 6 in July.

I had a misscarriage in April after taking clomid for 2 months, now back on clomid and fingers crossed. Unfortunately my age is hugely against me, Im 44.
But DH didn't want another child at first but changed his mind when I was 42!!
It's making it quite hard that he changed his mind when I was possibly past it.

I'd love DD to have a brother or sister.

Here's hoping everyones stay on this thread is a short one.

eeyore2 Mon 13-Jun-11 16:38:55

Hi LayAnotherEgg and lovesmountains. Good luck to you both.
LayAnotherEgg - I am also a bit frustrated with monitor because it gives me endless days of 'highs'.
Sorry to hear about your miscarriage lovesmountains. Must be tough being back at square one.
I am currently on day 14 of my cycle and feeling a bit bitter about the fact that other people would be ovulating around now - I will most likely need to wait another two weeks as my cycles are so long. Grr.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 13-Jun-11 16:42:08

Have you tried anything to regulate your cycles eeyore2?

eeyore2 Mon 13-Jun-11 16:51:55

Not yet - my cycles vary from 33 - 48 days but it seems like I do ovulate (eventually) each time so I didn't want to go to my GP and get thrown out for not having been TTC a whole year. If there's no joy in another couple of cycles I might see if there's anything that can be done though.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 13-Jun-11 16:58:01

I'm sure I've read on here about reflexology helping regulate cycles, acupuncture too. Maybe do a thread search and see what comes up as I'm fairly certain I've seen it mentioned fairly frequently.

Notinmykitchen Mon 13-Jun-11 17:00:55

Hi all can I join in too? DS is 3.8 and we've been trying since last October. I also have long cycles which is annoying as I only get to try once every 5 to 6 weeks which feels like ages to wait each time. I wanted a second child once DS got to about 1, but DH and I had agreed on one when we first got together as he already has 2 older children, it took him a long time to come round to the idea of another one, but I am so grateful that he did in the end. I keep tdlling myself I am lucky to be trying at all but it is sooo frustrating!

LayAnotherEgg Mon 13-Jun-11 17:54:32

Lovesmountains - sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I had a little taster of my DH resisting another child but luckily he changed his mind after about 2-3 months, so I have some idea of what it feels like.
Eeyore2- have you tried calling the CBFM helpline? I did, just for some help. They (funnily enough) encouraged me to keep trying with the monitor. It's worth a try! Plus, I also have long cycles. Well, I think they're long at 40 days. It's so very, frustrating!

randomimposter Mon 13-Jun-11 18:38:35

Hi all

Am 43, have DS who just turned 3, and we started TTC#2 when he was 1 in June 2009. Have had 3 MMCs and 1 CP in that time. The 3 MMCs were in the first 12 months, and have only got pregnant once since October which was the ChemPg, so interesting about the clomid lovesmountains... might have to consider that one... hmm.

Good luck to everyone, I empathise fully with the "everyone and their dog is pg, has already had #2 or #3 (or more envy) and I'm left here unpicked for the rounders team again..." sad.

lucylookout Mon 13-Jun-11 18:55:00

Acupuncture certainly seems to help regulate cycles. Mine were all over the place after second mc until I started acu and now they're back to a short but regular 26 days. I recommended my acupuncturist to a friend who has polycystic ovaries and whose cycles varied from 28 days to 3 months. Since seeing the acu she's now down to a 28 day cycle. It also really relaxes me and keeps me emotionally more stable, have barely any PMT anymore. I'm a convert, can't you tell!
Sorry to hear about your losses jollster. I had got preg very quickly 3 times (2 x mc after DS was born) and since that second mc nothing, for nearly a year now. This whole process requires reserves of patience I never thought possible. It's like running the world's longest marathon with no definite end in sight!
Eeyore2 do you know what the fertility issues were that led to the 7 year gap between you and your brother? It would be nice to have had the age gap smaller than whatever it might possibly (hopefully) be, but at this stage I'd be eternally grateful to just manage to have another dc.

MissPotatoHead Mon 13-Jun-11 22:46:09

Hi All, We have been TTC #2 for about 16 months now.
DS was not planned but a very happy surprise, so this has proved very frustrating! I suffer from polycystic ovaries and have very irregular cycle, usually 2 or 3 a year, so always knew there would be possible difficulities but hoped that after DS happened so easily we would be ok.
We have had three early MC sad (April 10, Nov 10, April 11) which they have found no reason for, but have not seen AF since Jan 10.
Getting really frustrated now as everyone either has #2 or is pregnant. One friend has just announced she is expecting #7!!!!
Think I might give acupuncture a go, quite a few people seem to recommend it.
It helps to talk to others in the same boat, good luck to you all!

Imo1 Wed 15-Jun-11 18:43:42

It is so nice to find this thread. DS is 2 1/2 and we've been TTC since December. Fell in month 1 with DS so never charted or anything. This time I have been using OPKs and found I O on day 20/21 of a 28/29 day cycle. Been to docs who has called today to say day 21 progesterone was low...as I had expected. Started B complex this month and accupuncture so hoping for a better luteal phase...I love Lucy's definition...it's like running the longest marathon with no end in sight. DH is sympathetic but is being very logical when sometimes I just want to have a moan and cry!

lucylookout Wed 15-Jun-11 19:48:10

Hi Misspotatohead and Imo1. I'm sorry to hear you're both having difficulties ttc no 2. And potato I'm really sorry to hear of your losses. It's c*£p isn't it. And you haven't had AF for over a year? Have I understood that right, since Jan 10? Is that because of PCOS? Can't they bring one on with drugs? Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick. And yes, like I said above, acu helped to regulate my friend who has PCOS's cycles so it's probably worth giving it a go.
Imo1 I have quite a short luteal phase too (well, I start spotting 9 or 10 days after Ov, although get AF maybe 12 or 13 days after, but I still think the spotting means the lining is starting to break up). I also take B complex and acu, which I'm sure help a bit. For my IUI I got given progesterone pessaries. Not especially pleasant, but they seemed to help too.

sprinkles77 Wed 15-Jun-11 20:15:41

Count me in too! We concieved DS at the first attempt on honeymoon. I'd just come off the pill after about 12 years and we were surprised to say the least. So much so that I didn't POAS till I was 6 weeks preg! Now DS is 15 months and we've been trying for 3 months. My cycle seems to be a regular 32 days, with some pains mid month which I have assumed, from other threads are either ovulation, or more likely my body gearing up for ovulation. Is it correct that regular cycles suggest ovulation is occuring? This month I used some cheapy OPK strips. None came up positive (though the control tests did work), but I did miss a couple of days, potentially critical ones. DH is starting to feel the pressure, already, resulting in him not always being able to get it up. Not good. I suspect that we're just not shagging enough, it's hard with work and tiredness etc... I would be happy just to crack on with a bit of lube, but he needs much more foreplay. TMI?! This month I had the usual middle of the month pains, then about a week later some different, milder pains in the same place. AF due next monday so who knows? If not preg we're going to invest in a CBFM (thoughts anyone?) and a moon cup to stop the precious sperms from falling out!

zipimagination Wed 15-Jun-11 20:32:06

Can I join in too. We're TTC No 3 and not getting very far. First 2 no problem, but for some reason it's just not happening. This is my first time on this board so would love to hear what a CBFM is and a moon cup??? My no 2 is now 4, but she has special needs.

I've done the ovulation sticks from Boots, but none were positive yet I'm sure I ovulate as like sprinkles77 I get pains mid month, and am regular.

Glad I found this board.

sprinkles77 Wed 15-Jun-11 20:53:27

mooncup.
CBFM

wideawakenurse Wed 15-Jun-11 21:05:56

Hello, can I join in too?

Have been ttc'ing since Christmas. Was pregnant with DS from the first month, a wedding night baby!

My cycles are pretty regular, last month I managed to get a +OPK and lots of EWD and we SWI'ed three times in 48 hours during that period. Still got a BFN and now have a raging period to contend with.

I totally understand the feeling that you can't be too public about saying how much you want another child - I am an only child and so my Mum cannot fathom why we would a) even try for another or b) get despondent that it's not happening. Cue - cats arse/judgy pant face from DM. grin

NinjaChipmunk Wed 15-Jun-11 21:17:16

I really hope this is the month. We're only on cd8 but i so want it to happen. I'm sick of sex for ttc sake, especially when you know you should do it as its the 'right time' but you'd really rather just curl up and sleep. Gah, the broodiness is ridiculous once it takes hold. And ds keeps asking if he can have a brother or sister. Its hard.
is anyone on the 2ww yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now