Talk

Advanced search

Asprin & high dose folic acid...any one tried this, with sucess?

(11 Posts)
thighslapper Fri 10-Jun-11 18:52:13

Would love to hear your stories.
Could you tell me who suggested it to you and why it was suggested?

Im reluctant to hear if it didnt work out well as i have so much hope on this, but i am a very practical lady and need to know the plain & simple facts.

tia x

freelancescientist Fri 10-Jun-11 21:35:44

I've had this after a total of 4 early miscarriages. I had 2 losses then my DS, followed by another 2 miscarriages. The consultant I saw after my first 2 miscarriages put me on low dose aspirin. After the second 2 losses a different consultant put me on the aspirin and 5mg folic acid (which I had to start 3 months before ttc.
Apparently the test for the problem the high dose FA corrects costs more than prescribing high dose FA, (mind you this was 5 yrs ago). She decided it was worth a go. DD was the result. We'll never know if she was right or not. As I managed to have DS without high dose FA (but given all the miscarriages I'd been on normal FA for 2 years solid anyway), it is likely the other miscarriages were bad luck. Whatever.
Good luck!

thighslapper Sat 11-Jun-11 10:36:41

thanks freelance. I agree, it is a conundrum, did it work or was your DD going to be ok anyway????

Anyway as it apears to do no harm, i will carry on with everthing crossed.

Tabitha8 Sat 11-Jun-11 15:06:39

I took a low dose Aspriin having lost my first 3 pg in the early weeks.
DS is now 2 smile. My Consultant told me to take the Aspirin. There was no particular reason; it certainly kept my blood pressure nice and steady.
I also doubled my dose of FA as I'd read that Aspirin can destroy it.
Best of luck!

eurochick Sat 11-Jun-11 16:31:33

For those who have taken aspirin, did you take it when trying to conceive or only after getting a bfp?

dooscooby Sat 11-Jun-11 17:12:16

I had aspirin prescribed due to low level of protein c and they told me to take it from ttc. It's v early days but it seems to be doing the trick at the mo (I'm 12 weeks now)

thighslapper Sun 12-Jun-11 13:40:05

It was strongly suggested to me that i should not take asprin while ttc, only when i get a BPF.
I believe it can affect implantation.

If, like dooscooby you have a diagnosed issue with clotting and the asprin has been prescribed only then would i take i while ttc.

I would NOT take it off my own back.

Consider also that even though the asprin is a tiny dose, it will still have a pharmaceutical effect on your body, so if you are prone to things like stomach ulcers or bruising issues, this could make it worse.

In other words, it can have a very detremental affect to your health.

Tabitha8 Sun 12-Jun-11 15:29:19

I was told to take the Apirin for 3 mths prior to getting pg again, but I was already pg when told that. Ooops.
I had blood clotting tests done but they came back clear - possibly a problem with how the tests are done.

wrighty2010 Mon 13-Jun-11 13:42:26

Hi, I personally have not taken asprin but two family members with problems carrying babies were both advised to take it prior to conceiving and also during pregnancy. My cousin lost her baby at 40 weeks, she was born asleep and she was told it was something to do with her blood/placenta, she did the asprin when trying for their second baby and continued throughtout the pregnancy and happily this resulted in a happy birth and dd for her. My husbands cousin also had problems, she has pre eclampysia with her first daughter and she was born 8 weeksd early and after that whilst trying for her second she had 5 miscarriages. Happily again the asprin proved invaluable in helping her carry her ds to full term without problems. She does have a condition which can be picked up from a simple blood test but this test is not offered free until you have had 3 miscarriages. Crazy really! Anyway hope this information helps, I presume you have a particular reason for asking. Hope everything goes ok for you xx

Keziahhopes Mon 13-Jun-11 16:23:38

Hi - have the high dose folic acid, 5mg as am coeliac and recommended by my gastroenterologist. No success in ttc with this dose (going down assisted fertility route, no success there so far) for 3 years.

NancyBlacket Mon 13-Jun-11 20:30:18

Hi I'm diabetic and was prescribed 5mg folic acid whilst ttc. I was then prescribed a low dose of aspirin when I was 9 weeks pregnant. My consultant said it was to help reduce the risk of pre eclampsia in later pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: