Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Tips, old wives tales, hearsay, crazy ideas

(28 Posts)
Karbea Fri 10-Jun-11 15:58:28

ok, I really interested in any tips you've got for getting pregnant.

The only ones I really know are drinking pineapple juice, and not getting out of bed for 30mins...

So... What are your tips?

freelancescientist Fri 10-Jun-11 17:08:24

Umm, lots of sex? That would be my top tip (well, try that first before getting too hung up on charting and pineapple) ;-)

Sam100 Fri 10-Jun-11 17:12:03

Certain cough mixtures are supposed to help make cervical mucus more amenable!!! see here

AmandaCooper Fri 10-Jun-11 17:52:17

Don't eat peas!

Karbea Fri 10-Jun-11 18:59:51

freelance I think we might actually have too much sex, aren't you supposed to do it every other day?

havealittlefaithbaby Fri 10-Jun-11 20:30:22

Yes every other day to maintain sperm quality. Don't lie down for 30 mins. The good sperm will find their way regardless. Lying still only gives the less intelligent ones opportunity and you don't want them reaching the egg! Go for a wee straight over to prevent uti.
Take folic acid immediately.
Keep track of your cycles but don't chart straight away.
Get your man to have zinc, it improves the health of his swimmers.

peapop Fri 10-Jun-11 20:35:19

Think the general advice is swi every other day, something to do with increasing sperm mobility?! hmm

I've just started using red clover as apparently this is really helpful for fertility but it needs to build up slowly in your system.
Also started eating tapioca as it contains cassava which apparently encourages hyperovulation!

Why shouldn't you eat peas amanda ?!

PamBeesly Fri 10-Jun-11 21:00:23

I've read peas are a natural contraceptive too, I don't know why though. I read in a really old book that turning over onto your stomach after sex helps sperm travel more easily.

DandyGilver Fri 10-Jun-11 21:05:26

Get close to women who are already pregnant - according to my great aunt your body can sense that they are pregnant and thinks "Oh since there are lots of pregnant hormones about we are in a safe place with lots of food so I'd better get on with it whilst the going is good". Or similar.

She also firmly believed that smoking relaxes you so maybe don't take the above as gospel.

havealittlefaithbaby Fri 10-Jun-11 21:10:15

Ha [actually laughed out loud]. Love your great aunt's logic! But technically smoking does relax you initially, it's trigger for the next one that stresses you!

AmandaCooper Sat 11-Jun-11 09:24:32

havealittlefaithbaby why don't chart straight away? <frets>

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Jun-11 09:37:23

Don't chart straight away because it leads to this sort of behaviour...

<frets>

grin

TTC should be enjoyable not worrisome.

And can I just applaud havealittlefaith for her sensible advice? I see this lie down, bum in air advice a lot and it's actually counterintuitive for the reasons stated. It causes UTIs and sperm don't work that way. You're supposed to let the sub optimal ones slide back out again not try and encourage them up there.

havealittlefaithbaby Sat 11-Jun-11 10:06:14

Thanks very much! smile
charting is quite intense. I can't show DH my chart, it freaks him out. Initially you should just Shag! My GP said 3 times a week every week. Otherwise you could think you've cracked only to fund the charting software changes its mind about when you ovulated (trust me, its heart breaking). I didn't start charting for a year. Takes all the fun out of swi!!

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Jun-11 10:17:12

I should just point out that I know how ttc can tip over from fun to heartbreaking and I've been there. It was utterly miserable. But at first, with no known fertility issues and no problems, it's one of the loveliest, happiest times. You're expanding your family and the means of doing it is quite enjoyable I seem to recall.

Didn't want it to sound like I thought ttc is always about fun. Sometimes it's the polar opposite.

And you're welcome, sensible advice is always good. smile

AmandaCooper Sat 11-Jun-11 10:35:48

I can see both sides. I had a 42 day cycle recently. If I'd been TTC and didn't know from charting that I had ovulated late I would have spent two weeks thinking I was pg and no doubt testing daily.

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Jun-11 10:47:31

But I'd argue that testing daily is adding as unnecessary an amount of pressure as charting in the early days.

The odd longer cycle is normal in a fertile woman and conventional wisdom would probably suggest that you test once you're a few days late. If negative, then perhaps wonder what might have happened in that month to make things late. Maybe test again in another few days. But I don't think the odd one off irregular cycle is a good reason to chart in the early days. If cycles are regularly irregular I'd say something different (go to the GP mainly).

But different people have different approaches. I do understand that. If there's the facility to know/understand/control something that's otherwise so open ended, then I can see why you'd seize upon it. And, er, I only give advice, I don't take it. <hides ancient and well thumbed TCOYF>

Karbea Sat 11-Jun-11 12:11:54

I have always tracked my periods and until I found ff kept dates in a spreadsheet. About 18months ago I had a 11 day cycle and I wanted to keep track after that.
I do temp and now use cb ovulation monitor thing, but tbh now I'm in cycle 9 I use it more to predict when I'm coming on rather than when to test.
I must admit I have NEVER understood the early testers, I always wait at least until the day I'm due, and tbh since I've started temping as soon as my temps drop I know it's game over so wouldn't even think of testing.

Really interesting about getting up afterwards...

Gawd knows how I'm going to convince DH to only have sex every other day, he likes having sex twice a day.

AmandaCooper Sat 11-Jun-11 12:44:21

Showofhands some advice you just can't take. This is my thirteenth cycle charting. I've been trying to persuade DH for two years. You may well be right.

MyLifeIsChaotic Sat 11-Jun-11 12:52:26

Message withdrawn

eurochick Sat 11-Jun-11 13:38:23

Twice a day! Lordy.

havealittlefaithbaby Sat 11-Jun-11 14:24:59

Role reversal with us. Twice a week is good going!

Karbea Sat 11-Jun-11 18:31:28

Yes we've always been like that. It's going to be hard to reduce it, I guess we only need to do it once every other day the week around ovulation?...

I've been doing some more research and have got evening primrose oil and royal jelly.

PamBeesly Sat 11-Jun-11 18:34:48

What is the evening primrose oil link Karbea? Willing to try anything...

Scrummybumb Sat 11-Jun-11 19:35:05

karbea I think the only every other day is only if there are known issue with your DH swimmers. That way there's a bit of time for build up. And doctors advice it to take any pressure of trying to time SWI around ovulation.
There's plenty of charts on FF to confirm otherwise.

Karbea Sat 11-Jun-11 19:44:46

here you go

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: