Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Does anyone know what the deal is for conception if the man is on SSRIs?

(4 Posts)
Trying2Conceive Thu 09-Jun-11 08:43:53

I have read the leaflet and it says that a woman should not take it when pregnant or BF, but no info about whether there will be any effects on conception or the baby if the man is taking it at the time of conception. Drs appt in 2.5 weeks, would prefer not to wait that long! Anyone know?
TIA.

Eachpeach80 Thu 09-Jun-11 08:50:06

There is no problem really. I think there is some evidence to suggest that they can affect sperm quality but I wouldn't worry about it. We conceived dc1 while dh taking them and trying to conceive dc2 now while he is still taking them. good luck!

Trying2Conceive Thu 09-Jun-11 09:00:40

DP is worried that they might have some effect on the baby, maybe even mental health wise, maybe that the tablets will lead to a higher likeliness of baby developing depression at some point in it's life. I have told him that I think this is highly unlikely but he wants to be reassured. There is no problem if they effect sperm quality or quantity, we are happy to try for a while grin it is the effects for the unborn child he is worried about.
Thanks for your reply.

havealittlefaithbaby Thu 09-Jun-11 13:27:14

Hmm I've just Googled this and scared myself! Been ttc for 18 months, DH diagnosed with depression in Feb has been on citalopram since then. His sperm has come back as low motility! Will be going for retest soon so we'll see what GP says.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: