Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Cheapo dipstick tests?

(6 Posts)
Chulita Tue 07-Jun-11 08:57:42

Ok, I'm driving myself crazy here, you know those cheap-ass pgcy tests that are just dipsticks? There are 3 sections to them if you look at them, the raised coloured bit that you hold, the thinner/flatter bit in the middle where the control line pops up and the fatter bit at the end that you dip half of into wee - still with me?
Where should the test line show up?
According to the pic it's just under the control line in the thin bit but the diagram's not to scale so does it show up in the thicker end bit or in the thin middle bit?
How faint can a line be?
I can't get a proper test til tomorrow and that feels like forever away! I was just wondering...

kat2504 Tue 07-Jun-11 09:17:08

It shows up on the middle of the strip, about a centimetre from the control bit. The thick bit on the dipstick end is where the dye starts off, so you will see colour there, and it travels to the bit you hold, so when the test is finished you will see dye there.

The line you are looking for is definitely in the flat bit! Any line is a positive result, no matter how faint. But if it is very faint that means you have less pregnancy hormone, so you are probably a few days before your period is due. It also depends on how sensitive the test is. My strategy is to use cheapies and then crack open a CB digi the day after I think I've had a positive result.

Good luck!

Chulita Tue 07-Jun-11 09:26:15

Cheers, I'm not pg then. I had a definite line but in the wrong place, not to worry, I've not got my period back with bfing so I have not idea if I'm even ovulating at the mo, just had funny things going on but I it's most likely my body getting ready to start af again, not quite as much fun!
Thank you!

blackteaplease Tue 07-Jun-11 12:25:14

I found that a bit of dye gets stuck under the flappy bit and looks like a line, but if you pull the flap up the dye travels up the stick and the line disappears. I was very disappointed when I figured that out, thought I had a bfp.

bossyboop Tue 07-Jun-11 12:48:20

ive had lots of evaporation lines (grey or colourless that shows as nothing when held up to the light) and I have also had 3 faint positives (faint pink/purple line in the right place the same width as the control line that can be seen when held up to the light and weeks later still there) they all appeared outside of the time so had to be classed as negative, as soon as I realised I did FR and CB tests but all negative. Awful tests but still can't help but use them!

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jun-11 12:53:43

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these tests if you read them in the time. They're the same as your GP would use.

Here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: