Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

IVF and failed fertilization- help me make sense of this....

(7 Posts)
tametortie Sat 04-Jun-11 20:15:01

I had egg collection yesterday and got 9 eggs. I am egg sharing so got 4 for me and 5 for the lady having my eggs.

Got a call from the clinic this morning to say that NONE out of all 9 have fertilized. So that is 2 different mens sperm that my eggs have been mixed with and no fertilization has occured.

What could that mean? My eggs are shit?

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jun-11 20:19:55

The egg is such a delicate structure, particularly out of its environment. I wouldn't think it means your eggs are 'shit', just that even in the best of circumstances the chances of success are relatively small.

sad

tametortie Sat 04-Jun-11 20:23:17

Oh, you put that so nicely. smile

I just feel awful- awful for us but REALLY awful for the woman I have given my eggs to.

It may not mean my eggs are the best I dont think...
0/9 is bad.

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jun-11 20:25:53

What did your consultant say? Someone at the clinic should be able to give you the best idea of how the eggs were, but so often, it's just that they're so delicate.

tametortie Sat 04-Jun-11 20:27:32

The embryologist is calling me tomorrow. I really dont know what to ask. Im stunned this has happened- I'm only 30 sad

Keziahhopes Sat 04-Jun-11 21:38:58

Hi tortie - sorry to hear that. 9 eggs is a good haul, but fertilisation is disappointing - hope the embryologist has some useful information for you, otherwise I guess you have to wait until you see your consultant again, depending on what clinic you go to and what they do (I had to wait 8 weeks to see why my cycle had failed which was horrible waiting.

Would they recommend testing the semen you used, as the issue may be there? Was it IVF or ICSI? We had ICSI and of the 5 eggs, 4 fertilised for us - which we were told was above average (happy Dh!), average we were told was about 60% at our clinic, we got 80% (but less eggs than average, so swings and roundabouts! sadly only one to put back, didn't stick) - so would ICSI be one route? Or could they test your eggs etc?

Hope you get answers xx

monkeybumsmum Sun 05-Jun-11 20:20:33

Oh tortie sad I feel so sad that this is happening to you, nothing is ever simple is it.

Did you speak to the embryologist today?

If you want to PM me do, or else I'll see you on FB I hope.
Lots of love xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: