Talk

Advanced search

Agnus Castus & B6

(14 Posts)
PieMistress Sat 04-Jun-11 14:35:25

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody was taking either/both of these to help with regulating their cycles/ovulation/lengthening their luteal phase?

Have been reading some really good things online about them and the benefits and might give AC a go to help my miscarriage recovery and get my body back on track.

Thanks
Pie x

MrsSheeran Sat 04-Jun-11 20:57:23

It's been a while because I now have 2 kids but I remember taking both of these when trying to regulate my cycles after a missed miscarriage and whilst struggling with PCOS. Good luck.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 05-Jun-11 14:18:14

Hi PieMistress,

I bought some AC when first TTC DC2. I have PCOS and hadn't had a period for 6 months. I never took it as I was worried if I had any tests done, that the results wouldn't be a true reading. Something to bear in mind. And it can take months to get into your system.

Sorry to hear of your mc sad

Let me know if you go for the AC, I often wonder if I'd taken them whether they'd have worked or not smile

PieMistress Tue 21-Jun-11 12:35:30

Thanks lovelybunch

Just bumping this to see if anybody else has used either of these?

Thanks
Pie x

Levana Tue 21-Jun-11 12:49:25

I used Maca powder to shorten my cycle. Went from about 33 days to 28 days in a month.

I was wary of using agnus castus as the advice varied as if you should take it for the full cycle or only up to ovulation. I think I'd go to a herbalist if I was going to use it.

Gardenpixie Tue 21-Jun-11 13:17:27

Hi Pie I used AC as I have PCOS - my cycles went from anywhere between 35 and 60 to 30-32 days after one month.

I've heard not to take it after ov though as it can suppress hormone production in early pg.

Good luck! smile

eurochick Tue 21-Jun-11 13:37:47

I am trying B6 at the moment. I've only been taking it a week, so I am not sure if it is doing anythign yet!

heatherbee36 Tue 21-Jun-11 14:59:03

Hi!
I've been taking AC for about 10 days now as my cycle has gone from a very reliable 28 days to between 30 and 34 in recent months! I also spot for at least 7 days before AF so am hoping the AC may help all round!smile

xx

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 21-Jun-11 15:13:44

I've been taking vitamin B6 (100mg a day) for about 6 weeks now to try to lengthen/stabilise my short/variable lutual phase. Last cycle (first cycle taking it) was 10 days, so an improvement on the previous month (without taking it) which was 8 days. But as my LP somehow varies from month to month anyway (I am also addressing this with doctors rather than just dosing myself up on vitamins), this could have been co-incidence rather than the vitamins.

Bit scared of AC as I have heard some people say it made things worse for them rather than better... but then others swear by it.

harassedinherpants Tue 21-Jun-11 15:42:16

I love B6, and am something of a worshipper!! I credit it with getting me my bfp's after 6 months of trying, although it turns out I wasn't taking enough and I mc'd twice. I now have regular checks and am 13+5 wks!!

I see a kinesiologist . Which is a form of testing using your muscles. It hasn't been cheap, but no more expensive than say acupuncture or any other alternative treatment. At one point, 6-8 wks prg, I was seeing her every couple of days. Now it's every 3 weeks.

What you need to be taking is activated vitamin B6, commonly called Vitamin B6 P5P.

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 21-Jun-11 15:45:59

Oooh, harassed - I didn't know that, thank you! I am nearly out of B6 so will try to find that. Did you have to buy it online? Do you take it with B12 as well?

harassedinherpants Tue 21-Jun-11 17:10:38

You can buy it online, but I got it in liquid form from my kinesiologist and I was taking a lot of it!! As a guide, her levels were perfect and she takes one drop (literally a drip from a pipette) but I take around 60 drops a day at the moment, and during weeks 6-8 probably twice that...

My liquid comes from a company called Metabolics.

joycep Tue 21-Jun-11 17:39:18

Pie - i took 100mg of B6 to try and lengthen luteal phase and it didn't do anything so I gave up after 4 months. My gynae has done research in to it and has found that it doesn't do anything for the LP but having said that there are plenty of people on here who have sworn it has. I think it's a vital vitamin anyway in the trying to conceive world so may be worth taking it to see if helps.
Not sure about AC though.

GreenTeaTastic Tue 21-Jun-11 17:41:03

Sorry for a hijack here but maybe this will help more than just me..! smile

harassed congratulations on your pregnancy! My chiropractor recommended exactly the same activated B6 from metabolics so your post has got me excited! I have had several miscarriages and he reckons it is the missing ingredient. He also says to take a lot (a whole pippet, which is about twenty drops) but I have read some scary things about overdosing on B6 (e.g. irreversible nerve damage). There doesn't seem to be agreement between countries about 'safe' levels, but it seems to be somewhere around 50mg per day. 60 drops would be about 150mg - did your kinesiologist mention anything about what she considers safe? How much did you take daily to get PG?

Thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now