Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

trying to put on weight whilst TTC

(3 Posts)
dontcarehow Fri 03-Jun-11 12:39:03

I'm sorry, I know people will hate me, but I am in the position where I think I need to put on weight. I have/ had hyperthyroidism (test results normal for a month or so now, yay!!) but it means I have lost quite a bit of weight. I'm also very active. I'm not super skinny, my BMI is healthy, 20 ish I think. but I am quite muscle-y, and I've recently weighed myself on one of those body fat percentage thingys and am about 19% fat. I read somewhere that 20% is healthy for women, and that possibly my percentage might be responsible for me not having had a period in 9 months sad

Anyone else in this position? does putting on weight help at all?

eurochick Fri 03-Jun-11 13:59:42

I have found in the past that losing weight does affect my periods. Doing it sensibly makes them a bit lighter and getting silly about it (as I did once as a teenager) makes them next to non-existent.

So it might help. I have a BMI of around 21 and have normal monthly periods. I think my body fat is considerably higher than yours though (but I haven't had it tested in ages).

Teds77 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:16:10

You ask so nicely so am sure no one will mind smile

I'm relatively short so smallish differences in weight have a big impact on my bmi.

My bmi is currently 25 which I think makes me 'overweight'. At my very lightest - around bmi 19.5/20 I stop having periods. Though I've never been that small long enough to know whether it would just mean 6 month cycles or no period at all grin

When I have periods - say with a bmi of 21 or 21 or 23 etc. then they are regular and not noticebly different in light/heaviness. So maybe with just a bit of weight/fat gain could make a difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: