Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

can anyone advise on these sperm test results please....

(5 Posts)
Jemimapuddleduk Fri 03-Jun-11 09:36:39

hello,
I am after some advice on sperm test results. I am feeling very low after trying to decipher these myself, can anyone offer any realistic advice or guidance (and maybe even happy outcomes from similar levels).
We started ttc in March 2010, got preg in late 2010 m/c mid Feb 2011, preg again end Feb 2011 mc end April 2011.
Test was in March and by the time we got results i was pg again so GP said not to worry. We only just got detailed report now after second mc and trying to look for some answers.

Volume 6.6ml
Count 39 mill/ml
Total sperm count 257 mill
Viability 51% dead
Morphology 2% normal form
Motility 14% progressive, 7% non progressive (so 21% motility, 79% immotile)

Plan to have another test done in a few weeks too.
All my enthusiasm and postivity for ttc again is dwindling.

Thanks Jem

Cally35 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:05:39

Hi Jem - on the positive side it's a great sperm count. 2/3% morphology although sounds scarily low, is now actually considered normal. WHO are changing their guidelines on this. I have read about plenty of people having successful pregnancies with this morph. The only thing that looks on the low side is his motility. I think WHO guidelines mention 40% and above as being tnormal, however, although i know your last 2 pregnancies ended in m/cs, you have got pregnant twice. I am sorry if that's not a helpful comment, I hate it when people say that to me as some sort of consolation but i've been told that generally if you have conceived before it's a positive thing.

Sperm counts can change a lot from one test to another. Make sure your DH limits or gives up alcohol, takes a preconception vitamin, I've put my dh on zinc. No hot baths, tight clothing.

It's a difficult journey. We've been trying the same time as you and one m/c later and no further forward.
Really best of luck.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 03-Jun-11 10:14:38

Cally thanks so much for responding. I am sorry that you are having a difficult time too. You never expect it to be like this do you? Feel like i am an emotional rollercoaster swinging from very postive to very low.

I know the fact that i have got pg twice should give some hope, however i am now worrying that it could be the more morphology that has contributed to this. Not sure if this has been proven anywhere?

DH has been donning the cotton boxers for a while, has agreed to cut out alcohol for a while and is on Sanatogen conception for men and 100mg of pycogenol (this he is not happy about as he thinks its not medically founded).

Good luck to you too, fingers crossed for speedy conceptions!

Cally35 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:30:54

It's a horrible rollercoaster Jem and iI have found it has got worse since friends who started trying long after us are now having their babies!

I don't think the poor morph will have caused the m/cs. I think the swimmers with the poor morph will never reach the egg. The strong swimmers will be the ones to fertilise the egg. It sounds like you got pregnant straight away after your m/c and my gynae is adamant that i shouldn't have started trying straight away after my m/c because he thinks it can cause you to m/c again. Sorry that's not trying to give you a reason as to why it happened again. I think this is part of the awful process because you start wondering why it happened and considering every possibility.

But I really don't think you should worry about the low morph.

Here's hoping speedy conceptions and sticky beans are just around the corner. !!

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 03-Jun-11 10:35:43

Tell me about it - i feel like the only person in my family and friendship group w/o babies or not currently up diffed. Know several where it has happened 'by accident', grrrr makes me feel very annoyed (i am just jealous).

Yes you are right i think we rushed back into the ttc first time round, so maybe my womb wasn't ready again.

Going to try and be positive again and just hope that those swimmers with normal heads find their way soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: