Talk

Advanced search

clear blue test and false negative

(6 Posts)
helpwhatdoesthismean Wed 01-Jun-11 10:58:07

hope someone can help.
I had dc3 6months ago. I had a period on 29th Apr then got an early period on 17th May which I initially thought was an implantation bleed as it was brown/pink not red but then after about 4 days it turned into a proper period which ended last friday. I got some brown spotting again yesterday and sent dh out to get some clear blue tests as I am usually regular as clockwork with my periods. The first one done last night did not show anything initially but early this morning had a v faint thin line. I then did the other and it again showed a v thin faint line.

I have read cb are notorious for false positives, could this be the case with me? What test would you recommend for maximum accuracy? I have had a problem with cb before about 4 years ago, I called them and they said the test was faulty.

Also why would the line be so faint if I am pg becacuse according to my dates I am about 4 days over from last proper period on 29th apr so the hcg levels would be quite high.
Hope this makes sense, would gratefully receive any feedback.

helpwhatdoesthismean Wed 01-Jun-11 12:06:41

anyone?

Gardenpixie Wed 01-Jun-11 12:29:29

Hi Help I have had a few false positives with CB - each time the lain was very thin and a bit to the left of the main pigment strip.

I have yet to have a proper BFP but I understand from people who have had more luck that First Response are very good, and that CB digital are too only they are a little less sensitive so you have to wait longer for them to pick up enough HCG to register.

Superdrug own brand have also got some good reviews on here and they are much cheaper than FRER!

Good luck! grin

helpwhatdoesthismean Wed 01-Jun-11 13:07:39

thanks gardenpixie, yes the line was to the left of the strip, I will go and buy a first response this afternoon. I hope you get your BFP very soon. x

Mitzimaybe Wed 01-Jun-11 14:01:38

I don't know specifically about CB but I do know that a lot of the tests shouldn't be read after the specified "time window" e.g. the last one I did said to read it after 3 minutes but within 10 minutes of POAS. If you leave it for a lot longer (e.g. overnight) then a line can develop which is a false positive. If there's no line after the specified time (e.g. 10 minutes) then that's a negative.

Of course, not every pregnant woman gets a positive urine test; can you go to the GP and ask for a blood test just to set your mind at rest?

helpwhatdoesthismean Wed 01-Jun-11 18:11:45

Thanks for the reply Mitzi. Just to update you I got a first response test and it was negative. Bloody bastard CB tests they are a waste of money. I can't believe they sell such a shit product for so much money, I will be calling them tomorow to make a complaint and get my money back. I have been so stressed about not knowing whether I was pg or not and am now just relieved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now