Talk

Advanced search

Normal blood tests, what is next?

(8 Posts)
buggerlugs82 Mon 30-May-11 18:28:27

Hello all, a few of you know i've not had an AF for 95 days now.

I had blood tests a couple of weeks ago to test my hormones, thyroid and something else. They came back normal.

Still i have no AF - I have another doctors appt on 8th June

Does anyone know what i can expect??

(i'm only 28!!!)

Bexamundo Mon 30-May-11 19:43:04

Did they check progesterone? I would think if blood tests normal it's time for a gynae referral to see what else is going on.

Keziahhopes Mon 30-May-11 20:10:20

Might be worth asking for repeat blood tests, to check the ok results were correct when see gp?

buggerlugs82 Tue 31-May-11 20:42:35

Bexamundo - I have no idea what they tested, my appt on the 8th is to discuss the results and im assuming the next steps.

I just wish my AF would arrive.

Keziahhopes Tue 31-May-11 23:11:14

Hi the standard blood tests that I have had - on NHS and now private are:
FSH and LH - on both day 2/3 and 7 days post ovulation
serum prolactin
thyroid

the next thing if they are all ok is to:
- order you DH/DP a standard semen analysis test - he'll get a date to go the nearest hospital that does gynaecology etc usually and have to produce a sample there.
- Also have you had a recent smear and such tests, if not worth getting one booked as before you go much further they will insist on one - and if you need one, do ask for chlymadia testing and all standard STI tests if you not had them (I know, I objected to that too - saying I didn't need them, but then found out had to have them before I coudl have fertility treatment on NHS and had to go through smear procedure for them all over again when I could have done it in one go!). Well this is the next steps that we had, as well as repeat bloods to check they were the same again if good!

All the best x

Aworryingtrend Wed 01-Jun-11 10:46:40

Hi Buggerlugs- is it that your periods haven't returned after coming off the pill?

I came off the pill in October and went to the Drs in january as AF hadn't arrived (after the initial withdrawal bleed) and she did the blood tests which all came back normal. I was then sent for a scan to check for polycycstic ovaries- if you haven't had this I would definitely ask for it, as PCOS is a known cause of long and irregular cycles.

My scan came back clear so the Drs seemed to think it was just my body adjusting to coming off the pill. I was then prescribed Norethisterone, a drug which you take for 5 days, it builds up progesterone in your body and then when you stop taking it, you have a period. Since taking the Norethisterone I've then had 2 normal periods- 32 and 41 day cycles respectively.

HTH.

buggerlugs82 Wed 01-Jun-11 20:51:00

Hello all

I've been to the Drs and after a very long chat she has asked me to ban all thoughts / talks of baby making for 3 months and to go back to see her in September after i've been to New York.

Re my AF - she said any drugs she gives me will cause a bleed but not a period and that 3 months won't kill me - To be honest im happy with this.

She is however taking some bloods to test for PCOS but i have no symtoms of this at all.

.....so, i'm not going to be on any conception threads for a while. I've packed away all my preg and ov tests, books and BBT thermometer and had some wine!

I'll be back in Sept - Once again thank you for your help xx

Bexamundo Wed 01-Jun-11 21:18:50

Fair play. Have a wonderful trip. Politely hope I'm not still here by then!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: