Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

First week on full dose of Metformin and feeling constantly, faintly queasy - does it get better?

(11 Posts)
ChateauMargot Mon 30-May-11 10:34:45

Just looking for some reassurance. The first two weeks on 1 and 2 tablets a day were fine, but since starting on 3 a day I've had that faint suggestion of motion sickness - a 'pass the rusks, please' kind of feeling - and it's going to be tedious if I have to put up with it for months on end. Ladies on Met, did your side effects improve once your bodies got used to the drug?

ChateauMargot Mon 30-May-11 16:06:18

Just me, then?..

chocolatesparkle Mon 30-May-11 17:09:28

You need to give it a couple of weeks to get used to it. If still feeling nauseous then, go to speak to your GP about alternatives/reducing dose again. If you persist for a couple of weeks though, the side effects should improve.

ChateauMargot Mon 30-May-11 20:03:25

Thanks, choc! Were/are you on Met, and with any success?

AuntieMaggie Mon 30-May-11 20:07:30

Are you taking them with food?

ChateauMargot Mon 30-May-11 20:23:08

Yup, with meals three times a day... It seems to be worst in the mornings, though.

CrystalQueen Mon 30-May-11 20:28:11

On the plus side, if (when!) you get pregnant, you won't notice the morning sickness. That's what happened to me anyway! Actually the nausea did subside after a few weeks, or at least I got used to it.

ChateauMargot Mon 30-May-11 21:23:40

Here's hoping, CQ! How long did it take you?

digitalgirl Mon 30-May-11 22:44:36

I found the nausea worse if I ate sugary, high gi foods. After a few weeks it tailed off and I'm fine now.

On the down side I've been taking metformin for 9 weeks now and it still hasn't reduced my cycle length. Maybe next cycle...<hopes there won't be a next cycle>.

CrystalQueen Mon 30-May-11 22:59:26

I went from having a period every 6 months to every 6 weeks. I got pregnant after about 4-5 months (and I didn't realise because I was so used to irregular periods and feeling a bit sick due to the metformin). Good luck!

ChateauMargot Wed 01-Jun-11 14:31:10

Thanks, CQ. And good luck, digitalgirl!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: